(last updated in July 2018)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1988.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2018 nominee.
Anna Costa e Silva works with constructed situations between people, that propose reformulations of the social and affective tissues. Her projects happen in the intersections between visual arts, performance, relational practices and cinema and materialize – or not – as installations, films or ephemeral situations.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2018:
Anna holds an MFA in Visual Arts from SVA, NY, and received awards such as FOCO Bradesco ArtRio, Funarte Grant for Artistic Production and American Austrian Foundation Prize for Fine Arts. Between 2014 and 2018, Anna held 8 solo exhibitions, among them “Asymptotes” at Caixa Cultural, RJ,”Eter” at Justiça Federal Cultural Center, RJ, and at Phosphorus, SP, and “I Offer Company” at Superfície Gallery, SP.
Anna participated in several group exhibitions, such as “Unanimous Night” at the Contemporary Art Center, Vilnius, Lithuania, curated by Bernardo de Souza, “Art In Odd Places” in New York curated by Nicolás Estevez, Rocio Aranda-Alvarado and Jody Wainberg, “What comes with dawn” at Casa Triângulo Gallery, “Encruzilhada” at Parque Lage, curated by Bernardo Mosqueira and “Abre Alas” at A Gentil Carioca Gallery, curated by Bernardo de Souza, Maria Laet and Mara Fainziliber. She was an artist in residency at Phosphorus, São Paulo, at the School of Making Thinking, NY and at the Salzburg Academy of Fine Arts, Austria. Anna started her trajectory directing award-winning short films, that were exhibited in more than 40 festivals around the globe.
- “I would like a company to talk while I have my hair cut”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2017
- “Eter”, by João Paulo Quintela, 2017
- “We, who will always be waiting”, by Ricco Garcia, 2017
- “There is a time when we meet”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2016
- “Night with Anna”, by Nei Franclin, 2015
- “Speculum, Spectrum: About Self-portraits”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2015
- “Taking care of immanence: notes about Practices of Being With”, by Livia Valle (excerpts from the article), 2014
- “Notes about Asymptotes”, by Katia Maciel, 2014
- Meet the artists qualified for the 2nd round of PIPA Online 2018
- Watch exclusive video-interviews with this edition's nominees
- See the pages of ten PIPA Prize 2018 nominees
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 5th Bulletin
- An ever-shifting exhibition in search of its author, "Unanimous Night" features 25 artists
- Vivian Caccuri presents a silent walk as a part of "Encruzilhada"
- Sound art event occupies old castle in Rio de Janeiro