(this page was last updated in July 2018)
Porto Alegre, Brazil, 1988.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2018 nominee.
In her practice, Gokula Stoffel investigates the possible ramifications of pictorial in objects and in space. Her concern with the place and role of the image is featured in paintings, which are spacial collages and sculptures made with unusual materials to reproduce the dynamics of digital displays scrolls.
– “Arts & the Politics of Individuation”, program consisting of 40 lectures by thinkers in many areas among whom were Franco “Bifo” Berardi, Hito Steyerl, Julieta Aranda, Nicolas Bourriaud, Armen Avanessian and Helen Hester, Saas Fee Summer Institute of Arts, Berlin, Germany
– Integrated Program at Entropic School Deepening of research and discussion of artistic practice through individual orientation and study group, advised by Galciani Neves and Vitor Cesar, Tomie Ohtake Institute, Brazil
– “What is the contemporary? Analysis of texts by Agamben, Nietzsche, Kant, Deleuze and Foucault”, by Peter Pál Pelbart, b_arco, São Paulo, Brazil
2015 – 2017
– “Painting: Practical Investigations and Critical Accompaniment”, by Regina Parra and Rodolpho Parigi, Espaço Aldeia, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Use of the image in Contemporary Art: Analysis of texts by Georges Didi-Huberman”, by Carlos Fajardo, Artist’s Studio, Brazil
– Vitamin Painting Production accompaniment and debates with guest artists, by Bruno Dunley, Ateliê Coletivo 2e1, Brazil
2012 – 2016
– “Contemporary Art”, by Pedro França, MAM-SP, Brazil
– “Study Group and Contemporary Art Production”, by Pedro França and Paulo Miyada, Tomie Ohtake Institute, Brazil Procedência e Propriedade (Provenance and
– 300 hour workshop on drawing and conceptualization, by Charles Watson, Cadu Costa, Eduardo Berliner and Frederico Carvalho,; Charles Watson’s Studio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Hello Again”, Pivô, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Anxious Madonna”, Galpão Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– “A Tuft of Bristles, Strongly Attached to a Cable”, curated by Bruno Mendonça, Epicentro Jardins, São Paulo, Brazil
– “The Third Hand”, curated by Erika Verzutti, Galeria Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Individuation as an Instrument of Abstraction”, curated by Jennifer Teets; Kunstverein, Berlin, Germany ”Visit, Decorated”, house to rent. Oriented by Ananda Carvalho, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Pandora”, curated by Paula Borghi, La Estación Espacial, San Juan – Porto Rico. Abre Alas #12, curated by Adriana Varejão, Paula Borghi e André Sheik, A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “I Scream”, oriented by Galciani Neves and Regina Parra, Galpão Glicério, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Painting Today”, oriented by Bruno Dunley, Ateliê Coletivo 2e1, São Paulo, Brazil.
– Lambes na Laje #3, curated by Paula Borghi and Nancy Betts, RedBull Station, São Paulo, Brazil
– 21st Plastic Arts Hall of Praia Grande, curated by Tobi Maier, Praia Grande, Brazil.
Awards and Residencies:
– Pivô Research Program; Pivô, São Paulo, Brazil
– 21st Plastic Arts Hall of Praia Grande (Acquisition Prize)
- Watch more exclusive interviews with this edition's nominees
- More PIPA Prize 2018 nominees artists' pages updates
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 13th Bulletin