1 – I am an artist and I want to apply for the award, where should I send my portfolio?
There are no entries for the Prize.The artists competing for PIPA are exclusively appointed by the Nominating Committee. The artist can only participate if he receives at least one nomination from the Committee.
2 – Who are the members of Nominating Committee?
A set of 20 (twenty) to 40 (forty) renowned professionals, invited by PIPA Board, that work with contemporary art, as established artists, art critics, artists, collectors, gallery directors and curators. The Nominating Committee changes at every edition of the prize.
3 – What is the criterion used by the members of the Nomination Committee to make their nominations?
Each member of the Nomination Committee will indicate up to 5 (five) names of artists qualified to participate in the Prize, to PIPA Board, having in mind that should be an artist with recent trajectory, which has been already been highlighted in the circuit. The members of the Nominating Committee must have also as a guideline the amount of the prize and the relevance of an international residence for the improvement and development of the artist’s career.
4 – Is PIPA supposed to find new talent?
The purpose of PIPA is to award and contribute for the recognition of artists that have already been calling attention for their artworks and exhibitions, throughout the years, to people that are connected with the Brazilian art market and not to find new talent, totally unknown.They are artists that have a recent but already consistent art career.
5 – Why there are no entries for the Prize?
The selection of the artists is made exclusively through nominations. The members of the Nominating Committee carefully choose their nominations by tracking the trajectories of the artists and not by analysis of portfolios.
6 – Are there any restriction of nationality or media, or any age limit?
There are no restriction regarding media or age of the artist. The artist should belong to Brazilian contemporary art scene, living or not in Brazil.
7 – All artists nominated by the Nominating Committee are competing for the PIPA Prize?
Only the Nominated Artists that answer all the requests and documents to the Coordination of PIPA within the deadline informed, will be considered Participating Artists and entitled to compete for the prize.
8 – What do the Participating Artists will get?
All the Participating Artists will have a page at PIPA’s website, including profile, pictures and videos. Posts at “ PIPA News” about their exhibitions and all news related to their career.
All the artists are invited to record a video interview via Skype, conducted by Matrioska Filmes. All the artists will appear with a profile and a picture in thr annual edition of the catalog of the Prize. Publicity in social networks and right to apply for PIPA Online.
9 – How the finalists will be selected?
PIPA Board will select, among the participating artists, 4 (four) finalists, based on the number of nominations received.
The 4 (four) finalists will take part in the exhibition at MAM-Rio and will receive R$10,000 (ten thousand Reais) right after the announcement of the shortlisted.
10 – How the winners of the prizes will be selected?
There are 3 prizes: PIPA, Popular Vote and PIPA Online.
• The winner of PIPA will be elected among the 4 finalists, by the Award Jury. The winner of PIPA will receive a total of R$100,000 ( part of it in cash and a part will finance an international artistic residency). R$10,000 will be received at the moment the artist has been selected as finalist.
• The winner of Popular Vote will be elected, among the 4 finalists, by the votes of the visitors at the exhibition at MAM-Rio. Each ticket will entitle one vote.The winner of Popular Vote will receive a total of R$20,000. R$10,000 will be received at the moment the artist has been selected as finalist.
• The winner of PIPA Online will be elected among all the participating artists, that wish to take part in the poll on the internet, on PIPA’s page on Facebook. PIPA Online category will happen in two rounds. Move on to the second round only the artists who obtain more than 300 votes in the first round. The score is reset for the beginning of the second round. The most voted artist in PIPA Online’s second round will be appointed PIPA Online 2012 Winner and will receive a donation of R$10,000 (ten thousand Reais).The second most voted artist in the second round will receive a donation of R$5,000 ( five thousand Reais). If only one artist receives more than 300 votes in the first round, it will be declared the winner without the need of a second round. If no artist receives more than 300 votes in the first round, there will be no winner.
11- May the same artist win the 3 prizes?
12 – How to vote on PIPA Online?
- The first step to vote is to create an account at Facebook.
- After having a profile on Facebook just go to the Vote PIPA Online page, where you can find the full list with the artists participating on the PIPA Online 2011 context. Click on the name of the artist you want to vote for. The link will take you to the artist’s page. If you already know the name of the artist you want to vote for, simply go to his (her) profile page
- Click like on the vote box, next to a green kite, on the right side of the page.
- You can repeat steps 2 and 3, and click like for many artists you like.
Obs: If you are already with you Facebook account page open, your “vote” will be added immediately. If not, it will appear a box asking for you to sign up in order to add your vote.
PIPA will not have access to your information at Facebook.
13 – May I vote as many times I wish on PIPA Online?
At Facebook’s own system is not possible that the same person can “like” one particular artist more than once. However, you can “like” more than one artist.
14- Why has Investidor Profissional decided to launch the PIPA ?
The initiative has a lot to do with our deepest conviction that it is necessary to think “out of the box”, be it in investment strategies, be it in the investment process.
We have always thought of the importance to question the conventional ways of looking at companies, the market and even our own role as managers. This has enabled IP to establish a closer relationship with those who share our “world view”.
Just as IP have benefited from finding companies that the market did not look at with due attention, we intend, using the “PIPA”, to give stimulus and acknowledgement to artists, their ideas and viewpoints that have not yet achieved recognition, and offer them the opportunity to exhibit their work at MAM-Rio.
The award was created in partnership with the MAM, whose continuous process of improvement IP is supporting with this initiative.
For further information: read the Regulation
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/premioPIPA