Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 1980.
Lives and works between Rio de Janeiro, RJ and New York City, USA.
PIPA 2012 nominee.
Video made by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2012.
About the artist
Antonia received her B.F.A. in Design and Technology from the Parsons School of Design in New York in 2005.
After three years working as art director in a renowned New York branding agency, she began her career as a full-time artist and received her M.F.A. in Photography, Video and Related Media from the School of Visual Arts, where she worked with Vik Muniz as her thesis advisor.
After graduating in 2009 she had her first solo show, “Antonia’s Line”, at Luxe / Stephan Stoyanov Gallery in New York. She received a review from Roberta Smith, writing for The New York Times, who called her video work “mesmerizing.”
Also in 2009 she represented Brazil in the Beijing Biennial. Since then she participated in group shows throughout the world including New York, Berlin, Paris, Geneva, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
Utilizing dream narrative and language, Antonia’s work deals with issues such as death, sexuality, identity and family.
The artist currently lives and works between Rio and New York.
School of Visual Arts, New York / M.F.A Photography, Video and Related Media, New York, USA
Parsons School of Design, New York / B.F.A Design and Technology, New York, USA
- “Antonia’s Line”, Luxe / Stephan Stoyanov Gallery, New York
Selected Group Shows
- Danspance Annual Art Auction, New York
- “To the Heart of a Woman”, Luxe / Stephan Stoyanov Gallery, New York
- “Saccahrine”, Grimmuseum, Berlin
- “Summertime”, Luxe / Stephan Stoyanov Gallery, New York
- Beijing Biennale, Latin American Pavillion, Beijing, China
- “Mildred’s Farewell”, Galeria Leme, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- “15 Minutes Exhibition”, Paraty, Brazil; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Millbrook, NY; New York, NY; Geneva, Switzerland; São Paulo, Brazil; Milan, Italy
- “La Femme Theatre”, in collaboration with Amelie Chabannes to be exhibited at “Blue Nefertiti, Paris at Night” concert, Le Poisson Rouge, New York
- “Phantoms”, Stephan Stoyanov Gallery, Brussels
- Salon du Dessin Contemporain, Paris, Galerie Anton Werner
Texts and Publications
- Jornal “O Globo” (Rio de Janeiro), Luiz Aquila Recommends
- Vogue Italia”Il potere dell’Ego” by Claudia Buzzetti Ace
- Santa Art Magazine, “Espelho (em) Negro”
The New York Times, reviewed by Roberta Smith, “Antonia’s Line” Luxe / Stephan Stoyanov Gallery, New York