João Pessoa, Brazil, 1965.
Lives and works in João Pessoa, Brazil.
PIPA 2010 and 2012 nominee.
PIPA 2011 Nominating Committee member.
José Rufino lives and works in João Pessoa, north-east Brazil. In his art works, he uses objects related to his family history like documents, letters, desks and chairs that appears in his installations, objects and drawings. A whole affective repertoire is presented in his work. The field of art becomes a place for a reinterpretation of the entire personal and family narrative. At the end of the 70′s, attends extension courses from the Extension Coordination – Coex, at Universidade Federal da Paraíba – UFPB. He developed his artistic journey passing from poetry to visual poetry, and then to art-and post designs in the 80’s. The universe of the decline of plantations of sugarcane in Brazil led to his early work on designs and installations with furniture and family and institutional documents. Son of political activists imprisoned by the Brazilian military dictatorship regime in the 60’s, the artist is also well known for his impressive art works of political character. Lately, he has forays into film language and he increasingly develops a work mixing monotypes / furniture / objects and installations.The dichotomized dialogue between memory and forgetfulness contaminates his work completely.
The most recent research of the artist deal with the irreversible failure of the body and memories.
He starts his artistic production in the 1980′s. In 1983, he moves to Recife where he keeps contact with artists and poets related to the postal art and visual poetry, among them Paulo Bruscky (1949).
Graduated in Geology at Universidade Federal de Pernambuco – UFPE, Brazil
Currently, he is professor of the Master in Visual Arts UFPB/ UFPE, Brazil.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
-Galeria Virgílio, São Paulo, Brazil.
– Galeria Amparo 60, Recife, Brazil.
-Museu de Arte Contemporânea (MAC), Niterói, Brazil.
-Museu Vale, VilaVelha, Brazil.
-Adriana Penteado Arte Contemporânea, São Paulo, Brazil.
-25º Panorama da Arte Brasileira, Museum of Modern Art MAM/SP, São Paulo, Brazil.
-6th Havana’s Biennial, Havana, Cuba.
-Espaço Cultural Sérgio Porto, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Selected Group Exhibitions
-“Aenigma, Galeria Milan, São Paulo, Brazil.
-“Blots & Figments”, Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh, USA.
-“Faustus”, Palácio da Aclamação, Salvador, Brazil.
-25ª Bienal Internacional de São Paulo, Brazil.
-“Caminhos do Contemporâneo”, Paço Imperial, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
-ARCO – Contemporary Art Fair, Madrid, Spain.
-“L’Art dans le Monde”, Pont Alexandre III, Paris, France.
He received his first award at the Concurso do Cartaz da Semana da Biblioteca, held in Recife, Brazil.
- From 15 to 19 February meet the artists appointed by the Nominating Committee
- New season of the group exhibition "Vértice" begins in São Paulo
- Last days | "Vértice", with works from the collection of Sergio Carvalho
- Opening | "Vértice", with works from the collection of Sergio Carvalho
- Curated by Marília Panitz, Marisa Mokarzel and Polyanna Morgana, group exhibition "Vértice" opens next week
- Last days | Exhibition "Ficções" dives into contemporary artistic narratives
- On view | "Ficções" explores narratives behind contemporary Brazilian artworks
- Exhibition "Ficções" looks into Brazilian art diversity through its narratives
- Last days | "Asas a Raízes", with Gê Orthof, José Rufino and Rosana Ricalde
- Last days | "Experimentando Espaços 2" com Marcius Galan, André Komatsu and José Rufino