Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 1974.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
Represented by Galeria Jaqueline Martins.
PIPA 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016 nominee.
Master the School of Fine Arts of UFMG, 2007, and graduated in fine arts course at the Escola Guignard, UEMG, 2001. Since 1998 she has participated in several group and solo exhibitions. 2003, I Bolsa Pampulha. 2005 Programa Trajetórias of Centro Cultural Joaquim Nabuco, Recife – PE. 2005/2006 Rumos Visuais do Instituto Itaú Cultural. 2007 awarded the Prêmio Projéteis, Rio de Janeiro, and Prêmio Atos Visuais, Brasília, both granted by Funarte. 2009, “Border Game” performs solo exhibition at the gallery Millan. 2010 participates in the “Paralela10”. In 2011, Temporada de Projetos do Paço das Artes São Paulo 2011, the 8th Mercosul Biennial and receives award at the Foreign Ministry I Concurso Itamaraty de Arte Contemporânea. She is awarded with Bolsa Estímulo às Artes Visuais 2012 granted by Funarte. In July 2013, realizes the solo exhibition “Zone Instability” in CAIXA Cultural São Paulo and is selected for the 18th International Festival of Contemporary Art Videobrasil and participates in the exhibition “Blind Field” at the Karnnet Museum, Illinois, USA. In 2014, she carried out the Projeto Gameleira 1971 at Pivô, São Paulo, participated in the Greve project at Fundação Bienal de São Paulo/SP-Arte, and presented the work Ensaio de Orquestra at Coletor, São Paulo.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2013:
“Not Yet”, 2011. Duration: 01’26”.
“Coluna Infinita”, 2011. Duration: 04’25”.
“Ensaio de Orquestra”, 2014. Duration: 03’54”.
The provisionality and arbitrariness inherent to the universe of representation – the conventions, the construction of memory and the values – are constant themes in my work. I use photography, video, filme, drawing and installations to bring visibility to the naturalization of social agreements and our correspondent ability to transform into solid truth that which exists only immaterially. My artistic procedures, both conceptual and physical, produces situations of stress, deletion, dissolution, blur, ruination and instability. Recently my attention turned to architecture and the cycles of construction and destruction endangered by it.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2010:
- Lais Myrrha on view at the Blanton Museum of Art
- "Condemned to be modern" explores the relationship between architecture and politics
- Thirteen artists discuss sculpture and the female body
- The struggle between nature and civilization guides "Um piano na selva"
- Sleek Magazine lists “The 5 Brazilian Artists You Need to Know”
- “Dynamic Encounters” during the 32nd São Paulo Biennial
- "Brasil, Beleza?!" offers a colorful insight into the vast land of Brazil through a selection of works
- Opening | First edition of ARCOlisboa
- Brazilian artists participate in the group show "Brasil, Beleza?!"
- Opening | 35th edition of ARCOmadrid