Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 1956.
Lived and worked in Manaus, Itabuna, Brasília…
PIPA 2011 nominee.
Video made by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2011.
About the artist
After being arrested for illegal possession of narcotics in 1973, in front of the Transamazônica Road, he had not to do after all… he then began to draw in the chocolate land!
Before being an artist, he is, therefore, an outlaw, even before that, is a painter and a draftsman, but before all that he is a thinker. A thinker focused in the idea of the image: the image has a tongue, it does talk, but it is a low-key talker and thus nobody hears it. His craft is to intensify the volume of its mumble; and what he hears are eerie things…
He drives his trunk loaded with smugglings by the unpaved road of the inland and comes to scatter through the city an obnoxious artifact: a capsule full of violence, intense light, observation and disease.
Those who do swallow it soon become pale and, dumbfounded, no longer know where they are. He earns a lot of $ with that.
Some other one-man exhibitionisms:
- 1979 – Museu de Arte e Cultura Popular/UFMT
- 1984 – Macunaíma Gallery, Funarte, Rio de Janeiro
- 1984/6 – MFA in Drawing and Painting by The School of the Arte Institute of Chicago (USA)
- 1985 – Superior Street Gallery, (this one with Rirkrit Tiravanija)
- 1994 – Museu de Arte Contemporânea USP/Ibirapuera de São Paulo
- 1997/2001 – PhD in Theory and History of Art by the University of Kent at Canterbury (UK)
- 2005 – Interferências, Círculo de Estudos Clássicos - Publisher
- 2006 – Museu de Arte de Santa Catarina
- 2005 and 2009 – Espaço Piloto of VIS/UnB. ( Brasília)
- 2007 – A Tarefa Infinita, Author’s Publishing
Since 1987 he is a professor of the Departamento de Artes Visuais (VIS) of the Universidade de Brasília (UnB), where during the period between 2009 and 2011 he was the Head of the Postgraduate Studies Program in Art.
Artist’s website: http://www.maravalhas.org/
To see the full list with the Nominated Artists click here.