Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1982.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017 and 2018 nominee.
Maria Laet’s work is created by actions and through the results of gestures and subtle interventions, in a practice which involves drawing, engraving, photography and video. These means are like channels, platforms for the artist’s process, like skins, which take in its intentions and reveal the action like an archive. The artworks take place in the concept as well as the physicality of the materials involved, calling attention to the membrane, the space, which connects but at the same time, divides. These encounters are emphasized in the entropic nature of Laet’s work, which tend to seem calm, initially homogenous, but which subtly question the notion of limit.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2010:
“Terra (Parque Lage)”, 2015. Duration: 13’57”.
“Long Way (Lisboa)”, 2013. Duration: 03’17”.
“Leito (-22.9617723,-43.2176653 -03)”, 2013. Duration: 02’31”.
“Separação”, 2013. Duration: 03’46”.
“Notas sobre o limite do mar”, 2011. Duration: 11’43”.
According to Luisa Duarte, in a critical text written for the exhibition ‘Situação de água’, at Marilia Razuk Gallery, ‘In her actions, the artist is always seeking a thin and invisible line which separates things, people. A line which can be surpassed and touched, promoting the touch, the exchange. But here nothing is concluded. Like the water which doesn’t allow to see her limits, which overflows, there exists here the absence of edge, of end. To inhabit this delicate place, and to get close to it, record its existence, this is what happens in the works of Maria Laet’.
Maria Laet participated in artistic residencies at Schloß Balmoral (Bad Ems, Germany, 2009), at Carpe Diem Art and Research (Lisbon, 2010), and at Residency Unlimited (New York, 2014). Had solo exhibitions in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Paris, Lisbon and Milan. Participated in group exhibitions such as: ‘Lines of Tangency’ (Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent, Belgium, 2015), ‘Encruzilhada’ (Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, 2015), ‘Rumors of the Meteore’ (Frac Lorraine, Metz, France, 2014); ‘Everydayness’ (Wyspa Institute of Art, Gdansk, Poland, 2014); ‘A Invenção da Praia’ (Paço das Artes, São Paulo, 2014); ‘Correspondências’ (Centro Cultural dos Correrios, 2013); ‘From the margin to the edge’ (Somerset House, London, 2012); 18th Biennale of Sydney: all our relations (2012); ‘Convite à Viagem’ (Rumos Itaú Cultural, 2012); and ‘O lugar da linha’ (Museum of Contemporary Art, Niterói e Paço das Artes, São Paulo, 2010).
Laet’s works can be found in collections such as Gilberto Chateaubriand Rio de Janeiro, MAC Niterói, FRAC Lorraine, France and Museum of Fine Arts, Ghent, Belgium, Patricia Phelps de Cisneros, New York and AGI Verona Collection, Italy.
- “Pedra Vão / Stone Gap”, by Michael Asbury for the exhibition “Pedra vão” (2014)
- “Drawings of Air”, by Cauê Alves, for the exhibition “Desenhos de Ar” (2010)
- “Maria Laet. The might beyond duality.”, by Suzana Vaz for the exhibition “TrAIN to Bad Ems”, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2009)
- “Maria Laet”, by Dr Isobel Whitelegg – Research Fellow, TrAIN, (2009)
– PIESP, São Paulo, Brazil
– MA Theory and Practice of Transnational Art, Camberwell College of Art, London, England
– Post Graduation Diploma in Fine Arts, Chelsea College of Art and Design, London, England
– Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Encruzilhada”, curated by Bernardo Mosqueira, EAV, Escola de Artes Visuais [School of Visual Arts], Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Situação de Água”, curated by Luisa Duarte, Galeria Marilia Razuk, São Paulo
– “Pedra Vão”, curated by Michael Asbury, Galeria A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro
– “La Voix/Voie des choses”, MDM Gallery, Paris
– “O que vive é espresso”, curated by Frederico Coelho, Galeria A Gentil Carioca Lá, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
– “Gesto Mínimo”, curated by Federica Bueti, Galeria Riccardo Crespi, Milano, Italy
– “Desenhos de Ar”, Centro Universitário Maria Antonia, São Paulo, Brasil
– “Eu fiz o nada aparecer”, A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
– “Lines of Tangency”, curated by Catherine de Zegher, Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent, Belgium
– “Atributos do Siêncio”, curated by Felipe Scovino, Galeria Bergamin & Gomide, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Encruzilhada”, curated by Bernardo Mosqueira, Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Encounters”, curated by Caroline Taylor at Rooster Gallery, New York, USA
– “Rumors of the Meteore”, curated by Beatrice Josse, Frac Lorraine, Metz, France
– “Everydayness”, curated by Beatrice Josse and Aneta Szylank, Wyspa Institute of Art, Gdansk, Poland
– “Jaro 3”, curated by Caroline Taylor, Rooster Gallery in association with Residency Unlimited, New York, USA
– “A Invenção da Praia”, curated by Paula Alzugaray, Paço das Artes, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Brutalidade Jardim”, curated by Kiki Mazzucchelli, Galeria Marilia Razuk, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Lugar comum”, curated by Marcelo Campos, SESC Quitandinha, Petrópolis, Brazil
– “Correspondências”, exhibition in dedication to the centenary of Tomie Ohtake, curated by Agnaldo Farias and Paulo Miyada, Centro Cultural dos Correios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “PIESP – Programa Independente da Escola São Paulo”, curated by Adriano Pedrosa and Luiza Proença, Instituto Cervantes, São Paulo, Brazil
– “…(chamo silêncio à linguagem-que-já-não-é-orgão-de-nada)…”, curated by Fátima Lambert, Quase Galeria, Espaçot, Porto, Portugal
– “From the Margin to the Edge”, curated by Rafael Cardoso, Somerset House, London, England
– “18th Biennale of Sydney: all our relations”, curated by Catherine de Zegher and Gerals McMaster Art Gallery NSW and MCA, Sydney, Australia
– “Rumos Itaú Cultural Artes Visuais”, curated by Agnaldo Farias, Ana Maria Maia, Felipe Scovino, Gabriela Motta, Paulo Piyada, Alejandra Muñoz, Carlos Franzoi, Júlio Martins, Luiza Proença, Marcelo Campos, Matias Monteiro, Sanzia Pineiro and Vânia Leal, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Chez Toi – Exposition Éphémère N.1”, curated by Maria do Mar Guingle, Paris, France
– “Silêncio”, curated by Paula Braga, Galeria Zipper, São Paulo, Brazil
– “O lugar da linha”, curated by Felipe Scovino, Museu de Arte Contemporânea, Niterói, Brazil
– “O lugar da linha”, curated by Felipe Scovino, Paço das Artes, São Paulo, Brasil Natura e Destino, Galleria Riccardo Crespi, Milan, Italy
– “TrAIN to Bad Ems”, curated by Danièle Perrier, Galeria Nord, Berlin, Germany
– “O Contrato do Desenhista”, curated by Paulo Reis, Plataforma Revolver, Lisbon, Portugal
– “Little Things”, The Parlour Project Space Gallery, London, England
– “Reflect refract”, curated by Lucía Pizzani, Rich Gallery, London, England Realidades Imposibles, Fototeca Juan Malpica Mimendi, Vera Cruz, Mexico
– “MA Theory and Practice of Transnational Art”, curated by Michael Asbury, House Galery, London, England
– “Paper Trail: 15 Brazilian Artists”, curated by Maria do Mar Guinle, Allsopp Contemporary, London, England
– “Upstaging Nature”, Lookoutpost in collaboration with London Wildlife Trust, Sydenham Hill Wood, London, England
– “Novas Aquisições 2006/2007”, Coleção Gilberto Chateaubriand, Museu de Arte Moderna, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Awards and Scholarships
– Residency Unlimited, New York, USA
– “Programa Rumos Itaú Cultural Artes Visuais”, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Carpe Diem Arte e Pesquisa”, Lisbon, Portugal,
– Schloß Balmoral, Bad Ems, Germany
– MAC, Museum of Contemporary Art, Niteroi, Brazil
– Gilberto Chateaubriand, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– FRAC Lorraine, France
– Museum of Fine Arts, Ghent, Belgium
– Cisneros Collection
– AGI Verona Collection, Italy
– Private Collections
– Collaboration in the magazine Lado7, first edition, Publisher 7Letras, editor Jorge Viveiros de Castro
Participation in Art Fairs
– Position, Art Basel Miami
– Art Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– SP-Arte, São Paulo, Brazil
– Artissima, Italy
– Frieze London, London, UK
– Frieze NY, New York, USA
– Arco, Spain
– Official – FIAC, Paris, France
– YIA, Paris, France
- Frieze NY opens its 7th edition
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- "Pacific Standard Times: LA/LA" features over 60 exhibitions across Southern California
- Fantasies and superstitions in "Un monde in-tranquille"
- Art Basel reaches its 48th edition
- Maria Laet participates in "The Life Aquatic", on Man's relationship with the sea
- Meet the PIPA Prize 2017 participating artists
- View the complete list of the PIPA Prize 2017 nominees
- PIPA Prize 2017 Nominees | 11th Bulletin
- "Cidade Jacaranda Pequenos Formatos: Dimensão e Escala" presents an impressive panorama of Brazilian visual arts