Play [+zero] began in 2007.
PIPA 2011 nominee.
Play [+zero] began in 2007 and is still going on today, continuing the proposition of discussing the empirical and philosophical fundamentals used in the spiralling and labyrinth processes of recombination found in contemporary audio-visual experiences, mediated by computational devices.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2011:
“Visita:deliriocorporal”. Duration: 16’53”
“O pensamento matricial é inesgotável”. Duration: 16’40”
“Abismal hipersônico”, presented in the coloquio of Senac. Duration: 7’16”
“Street fighter iv vendado – musicircus”, Bienal do Mercosul, 2009. Duration: 6’53”
“Exercício III: do processo aleatório da lei”, mip2, Belo Horizonte, 2009. Duration: 12’05”
What is important to know is that play [+zero] remains open, ceaseless and continuous, a non-hierarchical dialogue that reflects on contradiction and on the experiences of alterity.
The play should not, therefore, be limited by the discourse of method as an aesthetic guideline towards the truth. Instead, it should take the flusserian doubt as an example that makes mirroring and contemplation possible, taking it as a model for contemporary categorial thought and considering doubt in opposition to modern methodologies of certainty, maintaining this doubt as fundamental for intellectual and artistic investigation.
While man is a being that reflects, man is also a being in opposition. He is a being that does not allow that which happens to him (the things that confine us) to become part of him. He formulates sentences of disavowal. And he can do that thanks to his basis of nothingness. Man is a being constituted by nothing.
Nothingness is the silver nitrate that makes man what he is: a mirror. The mirror is a being that assumed a position of opposition: a negative position. This is why it reflects. It doesn’t allow that which surrounds it to become part of it. To reflect is to disavow and this is its structure. The answers given by the mirror are inversions of the questions that are demanded of it.
Optical equations confirm this proposition and they also confirm the analysis of reflexive thought.
Nothingness is the foundation of reflection (thought): bodenlos.
The apparatus is, just like a mirror, a being in opposition and it functions like that: beast-apparatus. It is a being that disavows and this is why it is a reflection of the real. The answers given by the play of the apparatus are always negative. To reflect is to disavow, this is its’ structure. The codes programmed into it confirm this statement: the real disavows. Those possibilities distributed fortuitously by chance also disavow.
It shouldn’t be surprising, therefore, that the basis of the apparatus is nothingness, this source of all possible disavowal.
[+zero] is, as a mechanism, a being in opposition and as such, it works accordingly. It is a being that disavows, and this is why it reflects the real. Reflects, negates and beguiles; seduces. It shouldn’t therefore be surprising that the basis of [+zero] should be nothingness, this source of all possible disavowal.
[+zero] has been shown and installed in the following games:
– “homage a ph: pai profeta e pai joão” (“homage to ph: father prophet and father joão”), abciber at ufrj, November.
– “homage a ph: pai profeta e pai joão” (“homage to ph: father prophet and father joão”), urban being festival, October.
– “artur matuck drum kit”, abciber at espm São Paulo, November.
– “street fighter iv vendado” (“blindfolded street fighter iv”), john cage’s musicircus at the 7th mercosul biennial, Porto Alegre, October.
– “visita: bêbado e puta no delíriocorporal”(“visit: drunk and prostitute in corporaldelirium”), kinoforum at mis São Paulo, August.
– “exercício iii: do processo aleatório da lei” (“exercise iii: from the aleatory process of the law”), palacete de artes rodin, Salvador, August.
– “exercício iii: do processo aleatório da lei”(“exercise iii: from the aleatory process of the law”), mip2, international festival of performance, Belo Horizonte, July.
– “c1’ (dando balão na dutch)” (“c1’ (ditching the dutch)”), galeria olido, March.
– “visita:delíriocorporal”(“visit: corporaldelirium”), sesc São José dos Campos, November.
– “zquizofonia feat. +zero”, frrrkcon São Paulo, October.
– “tacos mágicos do realismo peirceano”(“magical sticks of peircean realism”), file hipersônica São Paulo, August.
– “8 noites de performance/8 nights of performancE”, international theatre festival, São José do Rio Preto, July.
– “quadrifluorophosphato plano”, cultural events in São Paulo, April.
– “*rnd”, file rio, February.
– “tim maia do brasil” (“tim maia of Brazil”), galeria galeria, November.
– “zquizofonia feat. +zero”, ccbb, November.
– “zquizofonia feat. +zero”, 4th frrrk guys São Paulo, October.
– “o design é a objetivação do mal” (“design is the objectification of evil”), design fit week, September.
– “amplo salto no escuro” (“large leap in the dark”), galeria gag, September.
– “midialogia escabrosa” (“salatious mediology”), ciantec/usp, August.
– “heidegger em projeção”(“heidegger in projection”, SESC São Paulo, June.