São Paulo, Brazil, 1987.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
Represented by Galeria Vermelho.
PIPA 2014 and 2015 nominee.
PIPA 2016 Finalist.
Clara Ianni graduated in Visual Arts from the University of São Paulo and obtained a Master’s Degree in Visual and Media Anthropology from Freie Univeristät in Berlin, with a DAAD scholarship.
Ianni’s work is characterized by a critique on contemporary society through the investigation of the relations between art, politics, history and ideology. Her work makes use of different media such as installation, intervention, sculpture and video. Clara worked as an assistant of Regis Michel – Louvre Museum’s curator, and in the 7th Berlin Biennale, curated by Artur Zmijewski, along with Joanna and Warsza Voina. Ianni collaborates and is a member of Krytyka Polityczna group.
Recent group exhibitions in 2015: “Jakarta Bienal – Neither Forward, nor Back: Acting in the Present”, Jakarta, Indonesia;“Empresa Colonial”, Caixa Cultural, São Paulo, Brazil; “Demonstrating Minds”, Kiasma, Helsinki, Finland.; “MDE15 – Historias Locales/Práticas Globales”, Medellin International Art Encounter, Medellin, Colombia; “19th Festival VideoBrasil”, São Paulo, Brazil; “Fire and Forget”, KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin, Germany; “Speaking to History”, Extra City Kunsthal, Antwerp, Belgium; “See you in the Planet”, 7th Yebisu International Festival for Art and Alternative Media, Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, Tokyo, Japan.
2013 – 2014
– Scholarship for the Independent Program of Escola São Paulo (PIESP), directed by Adriano Pedrosa, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– MA Visual and Media Anthropology, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany
– Free Listener of Hito Stereyl inUDK (Universität der Kunst), Berlin, Germany
– International Exchange at Université Paris8 in Paris, France
– Bachelor in Visual Arts at the Escola de Comunicação e Artes (ECA), University of São Paulo (USP), SP, Brazil
Selected Group Shows
– “Jakarta Bienal – Neither Forward, nor Back: Acting in the Present”, Jakarta, Indonesia.
– “Empresa Colonial”, Caixa Cultural, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “Demonstrating Minds”, Kiasma, Helsinki, Finland.
– “Ter Lugar Para Ser”, CCSP, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “Quarta-Feira de Cinzas”, Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– “MDE15 – Historias Locales/Práticas Globales”, Medellin International Art Encounter, Medellin, Colombia.
– “19th Festival VideoBrasil”, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “Fire and Forget”, KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin, Germany.
– “In Search for a Radical Incomplete: A Perfect Animal Within”, Prishtina, Kosovo.
– “Speaking to History”, Extra City Kunsthal, Antwerp, Belgium.
– “Frente à Euforia” / “Frente a la Euforia”, Oficina Cultural Oswald Andrade, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “See you in the Planet”, 7th Yebisu International Festival for Art and Alternative Media, Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, Tokyo, Japan.
-“31st São Paulo Bienal – How (…) things that doesn’t exist”, São Paulo, Brazil.
-“Refrações na Paisagem”, Museu Dragão do Mar, Fortaleza, Brazil.
– “Opinione Latina”, Galeria Francesca Minini, Milan, Italy
– “A parte que não te pertence”, Galeria Maisterra Valbuena, Madrid, Spain
– “Conversational Pieces”, n.b.k., Berlin, Germany
– “Brutalidade Jardim”, Galeria Marília Razuk, São Paulo, SP
– “HIWAR/Conversations in Amman”, exhibition at Darat Al Funun, The Khalid Shoman Foundation, in Amman, Jordan
– “P33 – Formas únicas da continuidade no espaço”, 33º Panorama de Arte Brasileira, MAM – Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “10 Anos”, Galeria Silvia Cintra+Box10, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
– “O Segredo é a Alma do Negócio”, Funarte, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “III Mostra do Programa de Exposições CCSP”, Centro Cultural São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “Outras Coisas Visíveis Sobre Papel”, Galeria Leme, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “É Preciso Confrontar Imagens Vagas Com Gestos Claros”, Oficina Cultural Oswald Andrade, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “Architecture as Human Nature”, Supermarkt, Berlin, Germany
– “The False Calculations Presidiium”, Moscow, Russia
– “Untitled” (12th Istanbul Bienal)”, Istanbul, Turkey
– “Entretanto”, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “748.600”, Paço das Artes, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “Shadowed by the Future”, Cervantes Institute, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “EDP 2nd Prize for the Young Arts”, Tomie Otahke, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “Sa lão de Arte de Ribeirão Preto (SARP)”, Museu de Arte de Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
– “12th National Exhibition of Itajaí”, Itajai, SC, Brazil
– “16th New Visuality”, Instituto de Arte Contemporânea, IAC, Maria Antonia, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “Trash Metal / Who’s Afraid? / Go”, Galeria Vermelho, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– “What is the place of Art?” , 61ºSalão de Abril”, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
– Darat Al Funun, The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman, Jordan
– Culturia, Berlin, Germany
2010 – 2011
– Bolsa Pampulha, supported by Museu da Pampulha, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
– Red Bull House of Art, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
– Casa Tomada, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Grants and Prizes
– DAAD, MA in Arts Scholarship, Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdient, Germany
– IFA, Institüt fur Auslandsbeziehungen, Berlin, Germany
– Bolsa Pampulha, Museu de Arte da Pampulha, Belo Horiztonte, MG
– Pro-Int, International exchange – Brazil/France, ECA-USP, Brazil
– Scholarship for research “Adorno, Benjamin, Picasso and the critic of the Modern Project”, PIBIC/CNPQ- Fapesp, Brazil
– Assistant curator of the 7th Berlin Biennale “Forget Fear”, curated by Artur Zmijewski
– Assistant curator of Regis Michel in the Louvre Museum, Paris, France
-Member and contributor of Krytyka Polityczna
- PIPA Prize 2016: Recapping the Seventh Edition of the Prize
- PIPA Prize 2016: A selection of the best critical texts of the year
- PIPA Prize 2016: Noteworthy videos you must watch again
- Meet PIPA Prize 2016 Winner | Watch the Announcement
- Meet PIPA Prize Popular Vote Exhibition 2016 winner
- PIPA 2016 Winner Announcement | Wednesday, November 9th
- PIPA Popular Vote Winner announcement | Wednesday, November 2nd
- Meet the PIPA Prize 2016 Award Jury members
- PIPA Prize 2016 exhibition | On view at MAM-Rio
- "Under Arms: Fire & Forget 2", group show with Clara Ianni and Marcelo Cidade