(this page was last updated in August 2020)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1988.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2018 and 2020 nominee.
Anna Costa e Silva works with constructed situations between people that challenge the limits between reality and fiction, self and other, experience and memory. Interested in fragility and subtleness, the states between awareness and sleep, the suspension of time and that which subverts the spectacle and logic of productivity. Her projects happen in the intersections between visual and performing arts, cinema and social practice and unfold in installations, films, sounds or ephemeral situations.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA Prize 2020:
Anna owns an MFA in Visual Arts from the School of Visual Arts, NY and has won several awards, such as FOCO Bradesco ArtRio, Bolsa Funarte for Artistic Creation, American Austrian Foundation Prize and was nominated for PIPA Prize 2018 and 2020. In 2019, she was finalist of Marcantonio Vilaça Award. Among her solo shows are “Asymptotes” at Caixa Cultural, “Eter” at Centro Cultural São Paulo, “I offer company” at Galeria Superfície and “Fire over lake” at Auroras. She participated in group shows in institutions such as Casa França Brasil, Oi Futuro, Parque Lage, A Gentil Carioca, Casa Triângulo, BienalSur, , Art In Odd Places, NY, Contemporary Art Center, Vilnius, Lituania.
Anna was an artist in residency at Pivô Pesquisa and Phosphorus, São Paulo, School of Making Thinking, NY and fellowship recipient resident at Salzburg Summer Academy of Fine Arts. Works as a teacher of performance art, video and creative processes at Parque Lage Visual Arts School, Ateliê Fotô and Academia Internacional de Cinema.
- “It all seems like flying”, by Keyna Eleison, 2019
- “Sopro”, by José Damasceno, 2018
- “I would like a company to talk while I have my hair cut”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2017
- “Eter”, by João Paulo Quintela, 2017
- “We, who will always be waiting”, by Ricco Garcia, 2017
- “There is a time when we meet”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2016
- “Night with Anna”, by Nei Franclin, 2015
- “Speculum, Spectrum: About Self-portraits”, by Bernardo Mosqueira, 2015
- “Taking care of immanence: notes about Practices of Being With”, by Livia Valle (excerpts from the article), 2014
- “Notes about Asymptotes”, by Katia Maciel, 2014
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA Prize 2018:
- Find out new pages and video-interviews of PIPA 2020 nominees
- MEET THE 72 NOMINEES FOR PIPA PRIZE 2020
- Meet the artists qualified for the 2nd round of PIPA Online 2018
- Watch exclusive video-interviews with this edition's nominees
- See the pages of ten PIPA Prize 2018 nominees
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 5th Bulletin
- An ever-shifting exhibition in search of its author, "Unanimous Night" features 25 artists
- Vivian Caccuri presents a silent walk as a part of "Encruzilhada"
- Sound art event occupies old castle in Rio de Janeiro