(this page was last updated in May 2019)
Porto Alegre, Brazil, 1988.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2018 and 2019 nominee.
In her practice, Stoffel seeks to materialize mental images by evoking memories and psychological states in order to investigate these possible pictorial unfoldings in objects and space. Her preoccupation with representation today is evident in her paintings, which in reality go beyond “painting”: Gokula applies techniques of this media in remaining industrial materials, pieces of glass and varied types of fabric, in order to create a fragmented spatial iconography.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2019:
– “Arts & the Politics of Individuation”, a program consisting of 40 lectures by thinkers in many areas among whom were Franco “Bifo” Berardi, Hito Steyerl, Julieta Aranda, Nicolas Bourriaud, Armen Avanessian and Helen Hester, Saas Fee Summer Institute of Arts, Berlin, Germany
– Integrated Program at Entropic School Deepening of research and discussion of artistic practice through individual orientation and study group, advised by Galciani Neves and Vitor Cesar, Tomie Ohtake Institute, Brazil
– “What is the contemporary? Analysis of texts by Agamben, Nietzsche, Kant, Deleuze and Foucault”, by Peter Pál Pelbart, b_arco, São Paulo, Brazil
2015 – 2017
– “Painting: Practical Investigations and Critical Accompaniment”, by Regina Parra and Rodolpho Parigi, Espaço Aldeia, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Use of the image in Contemporary Art: Analysis of texts by Georges Didi-Huberman”, by Carlos Fajardo, Artist’s Studio, Brazil
– Vitamin Painting Production accompaniment and debates with guest artists, by Bruno Dunley, Ateliê Coletivo 2e1, Brazil
2012 – 2016
– “Contemporary Art”, by Pedro França, MAM-SP, Brazil
– “Study Group and Contemporary Art Production”, by Pedro França and Paulo Miyada, Tomie Ohtake Institute, Brazil Procedência e Propriedade (Provenance and
– 300 hours workshop on drawing and conceptualization, by Charles Watson, Cadu Costa, Eduardo Berliner and Frederico Carvalho,; Charles Watson’s Studio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Change-Change Project”, Budapest, Hungary
– “Para-Sol”, Pivô, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Alvorada de Vênus”, Auroras, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Anxious Madonna”, Galpão Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Os dois a 80 Km/h”, curated by Guilherme Teixeira, Caixa Preta, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Fevereiro”, Mendes Wood DM, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Nightfall”, curated by Fernanda Brenner, Milovan Farronato and Erika Verzutti, Mendes Wood DM, Brussels, Belgium
– “Unidos da Barra Funda”, an exhibition organized by artists in a house at Barra Funda neighbourhood, São Paulo, Brazil
– “A Tuft of Bristles, Strongly Attached to a Cable”, curated by Bruno Mendonça, Epicentro Jardins, São Paulo, Brazil
– “The Third Hand”, curated by Erika Verzutti, Galeria Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Individuation as an Instrument of Abstraction”, curated by Jennifer Teets; Kunstverein, Berlin, Germany ”Visit, Decorated”, house to rent. Oriented by Ananda Carvalho, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Pandora”, curated by Paula Borghi, La Estación Espacial, San Juan – Porto Rico. Abre Alas #12, curated by Adriana Varejão, Paula Borghi e André Sheik, A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “I Scream”, oriented by Galciani Neves and Regina Parra, Galpão Glicério, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Painting Today”, oriented by Bruno Dunley, Ateliê Coletivo 2e1, São Paulo, Brazil.
– Lambes na Laje #3, curated by Paula Borghi and Nancy Betts, RedBull Station, São Paulo, Brazil
– 21st Plastic Arts Hall of Praia Grande, curated by Tobi Maier, Praia Grande, Brazil.
Awards and Residencies
– Pivô Research Program; Pivô, São Paulo, Brazil
– 21st Plastic Arts Hall of Praia Grande (Acquisition Prize)
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2018:
- MEET THE PARTICIPATING ARTISTS IN THE 2019 PIPA PRIZE
- MEET THE 76 PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINATED ARTISTS
- PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINEES | 8TH BULLETIN
- Watch more exclusive interviews with this edition's nominees
- More PIPA Prize 2018 nominees artists' pages updates
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 13th Bulletin