(this page was last updated in June 2019)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1986.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Represented by Galeria Jaqueline Martins.
PIPA Prize 2018 and 2019 nominee.
Maria Noujaim holds a degree in Dance from the Angel Vianna School and is a PhD candidate in Social History of Culture from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro – PUC-RJ. Her works rise on movements conformed between sculpture and language – in a process that relates the body with the space -, with investigations on form and poetry. She recently held the solo show “Recomeços: quatro inícios” at Jaqueline Martins Gallery and took part in collective shows in independent and institutional spaces, such as Casamata (RJ), Átomos (Rio de Janeiro), Observatório (São Paulo), Oi Futuro (Rio de Janeiro), Casa França-Brasil (Rio de Janeiro), A Gentil Carioca (Rio de Janeiro), among others.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2019:
“Recomeços: quatro inícios”. Duration: 3’29”
“Twist”. Duration: 1’18”
“Triângulo”. Duration: 9’38”
More videos in: https://vimeo.com/malunt
2016 – Present
– PhD in History, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– MA in Art History, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– License’s Degree in History, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Certificate Program in Contemporary Ballet, Escola de Dança Angel Vianna, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Recomeços: quatro inícios”, curated by Germano Dushá, Galeria Jaqueline Martins, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Giro”, Projeto ‘um trabalho, um texto’, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Segundo chão”, Casamata, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Setor Performance”, curadoria de Marcos Gallon, SP-Arte, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Laboratório de Performance”, SESC 24 de Maio, São Paulo, with Central Saint Martins, London, UK
– “Where is your god now?!”, curated by Germano Dushá, CHANGE-CHANGE, Budapeste, Hungary
– “Vertigem Gagueira Repetição”, curated by Germano Dushá, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Lá Fora”, curated by Marcelo Campos and João Paulo Quintella, Casa França-Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Descamada”, curated by Bárbara Moraes and Gabriel Moraes, Fábrica da Bhering, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “\\\\ HAeammm //////// aOUuHhFFf”, curated by Germano Dushá, Átomos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “PrimaVerinha”, curated by João Paulo Quintella, Oi Futuro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Reunião”, project self-managed by artists, Castelinho do Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Abre Alas”, curated by Daniel Steegman Mangrané, Michelle Sommer and Lívia Flores, A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Espelho”, curated by Felipe Norkus, Casamata, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Watch more video interviews of the 2019 PIPA Prize participating artists
- MEET THE PARTICIPATING ARTISTS IN THE 2019 PIPA PRIZE
- MEET THE 76 PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINATED ARTISTS
- PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINEES | 15TH BULLETIN
- Watch another five exclusive video-interviews with this edition's nominees
- More 2018 nominees' artists pages updated on our website
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 6th Bulletin
- Opening | 11th edition of project "Abre Alas" exhibition