(this page was last updated in July 2018)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1964.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2018 nominee.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design at PUC-RJ in 1986 and continued her studies at the School of Visual Arts Parque Lage (EAV), where she attended painting and drawing courses until 1988. In 2010, Mercedes returned to the arts and joined the study group of philosophy and arts, coordinated by Brazilian art critic Paulo Sergio Duarte. In 2011, she enrolled at EAV, this time to take sculpture classes from Brazilian visual artist Iole de Freitas, until 2016. From 2014, she began to present her works in several collective exhibitions in Brazil and abroad. Mercedes does mainly large-scale sculptures and installations, privileging the use of raw materials. Water is a recurring element in her poetics, referring to subjects such as the frailty of life, the tension between what remains and what disappears and the transformation of matter.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2018:
Education Group Exhibitions
– Bachelor’s degree in graphic design at PUC-RJ
– “Luz Balão”, curated by Marisa Flórido, Solar Meninos de Luz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– “Artistas sem Galeria”, Orlando Lemos Galeria de Arte, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
– “Artistas sem Galeria”, Galeria Sancovsky e Zipper Galeria, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “Para Todos”. Galeria Fortes D’Almeida & Gabriel – Carpintaria, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– “Limiares” (as result of the courses “Imersões Poéticas “ and “Imersões Curatoriais”), Paço Imperial, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– “Displacement RIO”, curated by Gabriela Davies, Vila Aymore, Jacarandá, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– Displacement Exhibition”, curated by Gabriela Davies, Ugly Duck, Londres, UK.(http://www.displacementproject.co.uk/).
– “Intervenções Bradesco/ARTRIO”, curated by Isabel Portella, Museu da República, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– “Baía de Guanabara: águas e vidas escondidas”, curated by de Luiz Guilherme Vergara, Museu de Arte Contemporânea, MAC Niterói, Brazil.
– Festival de Escultura, Centro Cultural da Justiça Federal, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
– Public implementation of the project “Águas Escondidas”, pátio do Centro Cultural Paschoal Carlos Magno, Campo de São Bento, Niterói, Brazil.
– I Mostra RIO de Esculturas Monumentais, Praça Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Watch exclusive video-interviews with this edition's nominees
- More 2018 nominees' artists pages updated on our website
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 1st Bulletin