(this page was last updated in March 2022)
Lives and Works in São Paulo, Brazil.
Member of the PIPA Prize Nominating Committee 2022
Claudinei Roberto da Silva (professor, curator, visual artist) was born in 1963 in São Paulo where he lives and works. He graduated from the Art Department of the University of São Paulo. As curator he held among others, the Sidney Amaral exhibition “O Banzo, o amor e a Cozinha” 1st Funart award for black artists and curators – Museu Afro Brasil, the “13th Naïfs of Brazil Biennial” at Sesc Piracicaba and the series “Pretatitude. Insurgences, emergences and affirmations. Contemporary Afro-Brazilian Art” for several units of Sesc São Paulo and invited curator for the research project “MAC USP Curatorial Processes – Critical Curatorship and Decolonial Studies in Visual Arts: African Diasporas in the Americas”. Coordinated, among others, the Educational Center of the Afro-Brazil Museum. Artistic and Pedagogical Coordinator of the multinational project “A Journey through African Diaspora” of the American Alliance of Museums in partnership with the Afro Brazil Museum and Prince George African American Museum. He was a Fellow in the “International Visitor Leadership Program” of the U.S. Department of State. He is part of the curatorial board of the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo. He has works in the collection of the National Museum of Afro-Brazilian Culture MUNCAB in Salvador, Bahia.
– Member of the Curatorial Council of the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo MAM – Cauê Alves Management.
– Invited member of the Brazilian Academy of Art Critics.
– Fellow of the “International Visitor Leadership Program” of the U.S. Department of State.
– CNPq scholarship holder with the research “Desenho, fundador de linguagens” oriented by Professor Doctor Jorge Aristides Carvajal.
– Joined the University of São Paulo where she received her degree in Art Education in the Arts Department of the School of Communications and Arts.
– Studied painting at Lise Forel’s studio.
– Studies painting at the studio of Ednéa Ferreira (Cleoo)
Professional activities in the area of education in spaces of art and culture.
– Coordinator of the Education Nucleus of the exhibition “Quero viver até o fim o que me cabe. – Sidney Amaral, an approach.” Sesc Jundiaí – São Paulo.
– Course “Yesterday’s excluded and today’s insurgents in the visual arts” held by Sesc through the CPF Research and Formation Center – São Paulo
– Lecture – Afro-diasporic curatorship: Black ethics and aesthetics on display Realization Sesc São Paulo through the Center for Research and Training CPF.
– Course “Acervos speaking Afro-brasilidades. What do our collections say about us?” Realization Sesc unit Guarulhos.
– Coordinator of the Education Nucleus of the “Orun by Paula Scamparini” for Sesc Carmo unit – São Paulo.
– Talk: Contemporary Afro-Brazilian Art realization Sesc unit Ipiranga – São Paulo.
– Course History of Contemporary Art program 7º Paço Comunidade in partnership with JAMAC – São Paulo.
– Course “History of Afro-Brazilian art: The black as interested subject and subject of interest” realization Sesc unit Pompéia – São Paulo.
– Course “Inclusive History of Brazilian Art” held at the Sesc Pinheiros unit – São Paulo.
– Course “History of peripheral art Module I: Colonial Brazil to pre modernism – A synthesis of the history of Afro-Brazilian art. Presented by Sesc Vila Mariana São Paulo.
– Advisory Coordination of the Educational Center of the itinerancy of the 13th edition of Sesc’s Naïfs do Brasil Biennial at Sesc Belenzinho – São Paulo.
– Coordinates the Educational Nucleus of the 13th edition of Naïfs Biennial of Brazil at Sesc Piracicaba – São Paulo.
– Course “Secret Mirror: art, history and image of the black man in Brazil” held by Sesc through the Research and Training Center CPF. São Paulo.
– Coordination and Curator – Symposium “African Presence in Brazil”- realized by Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil in São Paulo.
– Lecture “Contemporary art and africanities” realized by Sesc unity Santo André.
– Orienta Workshop of Initiation to Drawing at Sesc Santo André in São Paulo.
– Directs Drawing Workshop of the Human Figure at Sesc Pompéia.
Artistic and Pedagogical Coordinator of the multinational project “A Journey trough African Diaspora” of the American Alliance of Museums in partnership with Museu Afro Brasil and Prince George African American Museum – São Paulo – Washington.
– Invited lecturer for the symposium “O Olhar modernista – Uma viagem pelo modernismo no Brasil” Caixa Cultural do Rio de Janeiro with texts published in the event’s catalog.
– Lecture “Black image in Brazilian art” Afro Brasil Museum through the Education Center.
– Coordinator of the Education Center of the Afro-Brazil Museum – São Paulo.
– Sub-coordinator and interim coordinator of the Education Nucleus of the Museu da Imagem e do Som de São Paulo, Paço das Artes de São Paulo.
– Sub-coordinator of the Educative Center of the Bienal Foundation during the 27th Bienal of São Paulo.
– Founded and directs the atelier OÇO/Galeria Cinesol in the neighborhood of Liberdade in São Paulo, responsible for the realization of more than 40 art exhibitions, art-educational activities, debates and meetings with artists.
– developed activities as an educator-scholar at the education center of the Museum of Contemporary Art of the University of São Paulo – MAC.
– Coordinates the workshop Expressionist Dialogues – Proposals in Art Education – at the Oficina Cultural Oswald de Andrade in São Paulo.
– Curator of the 37th Panorama of Contemporary Art of the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo with Cauê Alves, Cristiana Tejo and Vanessa Davidson – MAM – São Paulo.
– Guest curator of the project MAC USP Curatorial Practices Research – Museu de Arte Contemporânea da Universidade de São Paulo and Getty Institute – São Paulo.
– Guest curator of the project “Lugar Comum” – Museum of Contemporary Art, University of São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition “I want to live up to my end. – Sidney Amaral, an approach.” Sesc Jundiaí – São Paulo.
– Curator of the group exhibition “Pretatitude: insurgency, emergence and affirmation in contemporary Afro-Brazilian art” at Sesc São Carlos, Ribeirão Preto, Santos, Vila Mariana and São José do Rio Preto units.
– Curator of the group exhibition “Armorial. Da Pedra do Reino ao Ponteio Acutilado” – Caixa Cultural Recife – Pernambuco.
– Curator of the group exhibition “Interioranidades – André Yassuda, Biba Rigo and Mariana Ardito” Historical and Pedagogical Museum of Pindamonhangaba, Cubo Branco Gallery, Department of Architecture and Urbanism of UNITAU- University of Taubaté – Miguel Reale House of Culture – São Bento de Sapucaí and Vicentina Aranha Park – São Jose dos Campos – São Paulo.
– Shared curator with Clarissa Diniz and Sandra Leibovici of the ‘Itinerância da 13ª Edição da Bienal Naïfs do Brasil’ at Sesc Belenzinho – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition “Cynthia Leitão – Empty Concrete” at Galeria Tato – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition “Alexandra Ungern – Laços” Tato Gallery – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition by Mauricio Pestana “Pestana. 30 years of art for equality” for Sesc Santo André and Sesc Piracicaba units.
– Shared curator with Clarissa Diniz and Sandra Leibovici of the “13th Edition of the Naïfs of Brazil Biennial” at Sesc Piracicaba – São Paulo.
– Curator exhibition “Devoção” photographs by Rodrigo Koraicho at Afro Brasil Museum – São Paulo.
– Curator and critical text of the exhibition “A vida intima das linhas” drawings by Christiana Moraes and Nilson Sato. At the Sesc units of Santo André and São José dos Campos.
– Curator of the exhibition “Sidney Amaral – restless objects” Tato Gallery – São Paulo
– Curator of the exhibition “Thais Albuquerque Braga – oneiric disorder” Tato Gallery – São Paulo.
– Shared curator with Mariana Cogiolla of the exhibition “Mauricio Parra – Absence is a stear in me” Mezzanino Gallery – São Paulo.
– Curator and Critical text of the exhibition “Audácia Concreta” as Obras de Luiz Sacilotto” – at Oscar Niemeyer Museum in Curitiba. Paraná.
– Curator and critical text of the exhibition Sidney Amaral “O Banzo, o amor e a Cozinha” 1st prize Funart for black artists and curators – Afro Brazil Museum – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition “Nilson Sato – E o tempo permanece à nossa volta” Contemporary Art Museum of Campinas – São Paulo.
– Curator and critical text of the exhibition “Olhares Cruzados” of the photographers Renato Negrão and Luc Dubois. Caixa Cultural de São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition “Danielle Noronha – Veículo de viagem – watercolors” Mezanino Gallery – São Paulo.
– Curator and critical text of the exhibition “Ventos de Oyá” by artist Wagner Pinto at Caixa Cultural de Brasília.
– Curator of the exhibition “Nas Moradas” by Luciano Ogura at Brazilian Sculpture Museum – Mube – São Paulo.
– Deputy curator and text in the project Risk # 1 Art as Work at SESC Belenzinho São Paulo.
– Associate curator and text in project Risk # 2 Landscape at SESC Belenzinho São Paulo.
– Assistant curator and text at project Risk # 3 Local Color, Absence, Memory at SESC Belenzinho São Paulo.
– Curator of the group exhibition “arte, afrodescendência – contemporary art show” with Janaina Barros, Luiz 83, Neco Soares and Wagner Viana. Municipal Center of Afro-Brazilian Culture Odette dos Santos – São Carlos – São Paulo.
– Curator of Rosana Paulino’s exhibition – Love: ways and uses – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the Collective exhibition Soul II – OÇO Cinesol São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition by Neco Soares – photographs – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition of Verônica Manevy – “Cidade Efêmera” – photographs – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition by Tatiana Andimena – “A thought about nameless colors” – photographs – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of Alexandre Andrade’s exhibition – “Workshop – paintings” – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the Ulysses Bôscolo’s exhibition – “Catamarã” – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the Collective Soul I exhibition – Sidney Amaral, Wagner Celestino, Janaina Barros and others – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the exhibition Nilson Sato “Sobre_tudo” – OÇO Cinesol – São Paulo.
– Curator of the group show “Suportar a Cidade a Cidade como suporte” – Bruna Buniotto, Danilo Pera, Ligia Carvalho, Marco Willians – São Paulo.
– Shared curator with Eurico Lopes – group exhibition “Oniforma” São Paulo Cultural Center – São Paulo.
– Curator and critical text for the exhibition “O que ela faz é dança” in the catalogue of the artist Christiana Moraes. Prize XV National Art Salon of Funart – Rio de Janeiro.
1997 e 2002
– Organized an independent exhibition project with the group Olho SP from the Arts Department of the School of Communications and Arts at USP, holding exhibitions in various institutions in the city of São Paulo.
– Article “A story in movement: The photography of Marcela Bonfim and Leandro Cunha” for the magazine Fim do Mundo nª4 Thematic dossier: Capitalism and racism. The black praxis – UNESP. ISSN 2675 3812 e-ISSN 2675-3871
– Article “Portrait without wall” for ARS magazine, Department of Arts, School of Communication and Art, University of São Paulo ssn.2178-0447.ars.2021.187168
– Article “Never like now. The recent paintings of No Martins” for Arte!Brasileiros magazine #56 Image and Power. ISBN 9 772179 256007
– Article “The grace of faith” for Arte!Brasileiros magazine #54 Na Debacle. ISBN 9 772179 256007
– Article “What are we talking about when we talk about Afro-Brazilian art?” and “Generations in Dialogue” for the magazine Arte!Brasileiros nº53 Letramento antirracista. ISBN 9 772179 256007
– Critical text “Notas sobre uma teoria da dança” for catalog of the exhibition “Interioranidades” curated by Claudinei Roberto da Silva. Proac SP Pindamonhangaba, Taubaté, São Bento do Sapucaí, and São José dos Campos. Indicie for systematic catalog: 1. contemporary art: exhibitions: Catalog 700.74
– Critical text “A Bienal policêntrica do Brasil” for catalog of the exhibition catalog of the 13th Edition of the Biennial Naïfs of Brazil’ curated by Clarissa Diniz, Claudinei Roberto da Silva and Sandra Leibovici at SESC Piracicaba São Paulo. ISBN 978-85-7995-206-7
– Critical text “Who reacted is alive” for catalogo of the exhibition “Territories: Afro-Brazilian Art in the Collection of the Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo” – Curated by Tadeu Chiarelli for Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo. ISBN 978-85-8256-070-9
– Critical text “Luiz Sacilotto or the reasons of emotion” for the exhibition catalog “Audácia Concreta as obras de Luiz Sacilotto” curated by Claudinei Roberto da Silva, Oscar Niemeyer Museum Curitiba, Paraná ISBN 978-85-60638-45-1
– Critical text “The Seduction of the Uncomfortable” for catalog of the exhibition “Sidney Amaral. Banzo, Love and the Home Kitchen.” Curated by Claudinei Roberto da Silva – Museu Afro Brasil – Funarte. Project contemplated by the Funarte Black Art Prize 2012. ISBN 975-85-98741-81-9
– Critical text “Wagner Pinto: Tropical Fauvism and the gentle anthropophagist for exhibition “Winds of Oyá” for Caixa Cultural de Brasília – Distrito Federal.
– Has critical texts published by Centro Cultural São Paulo in the IV Exhibition of Exhibitions artists Eurico Lopes and André Yassuda.
– 46th Art Saloon of Ribeirão Preto SARP.
– 25th Anapolino Art Salon – Anápolis – Goiás.
– 29th Edition of the Exhibition Program of Centro Cultural São Paulo
Personal artistic work mentioned in catalogs and books.
– Have works exhibited and considered in the catalog of the exhibition “A Nova Mão Afro-Brasileira. Curated and organized by Emanoel Araújo. Official Press of the State of São Paulo.
– Works considered in the 2nd edition of the book “The New Afro-Brazilian Hand. Significance of the Artistic and Historical Contribution” organized by Emanoel Araújo. Official Press of the State of São Paulo.
– Works considered in the catalog of the exhibition “Para nunca esquecer: Negras Memórias, memórias de negros” organized by Emanoel Araújo. Official Press of the State of São Paulo.