(this page was last updated in June 2022)
[This page is being made]
Cuiabá, Brazil, 2017.
Operates in Cuiabá, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee.
Founded in 2017, Coletivo Quariterê has the mission of proposing, debating, influencing and monitoring public policies at the municipal and state levels that converge in affirmative actions for the inclusion of Black professionals throughout the production chain of the audiovisual segment. The name Quariterê was chosen in honor of the Quilombo do Quariterê, located in the region of Vila Bela da Santíssima Trindade, the first capital of the state of Mato Grosso.
The history of the quilombo and of its queen Teresa de Benguela, with her heroic resistance and leadership, were inspirations for the creation of this collective of quilombos, to welcome, inspire, strengthen and add Black professionals in the audiovisual sector of Mato Grosso.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
“Bendita (short-documentary trailer)”, 2022. Duration: 00’52”
“Farinhas, festas e memórias” (short-documentary trailer), 2022. Duration: 00’30”
“Caeté (fiction short film trailer)”, 2022. Duration: 1’08”
“The making of the ‘Aqui Jaz a Melodia’ short film”, 2022. Duration: 10’24”
“A Velhice Ilumina o Vento (fiction short film trailer)”, 2020. Duration: 1’00”
– November of 2016: the Secretaria Estadual de Cultual [State Department of Culture] Team (SEC-MT) tried to carry out the Mostra de Cinema Negro [Black Film Festival] in a racist way, reinforcing stereotypes linked to the enslavement of Africans and Afro-descendants. It was going to be executed by a production company whose owner was a white man. As a result, the structural racism and lack of racial literacy of all parties involved, especially the management of the SEC-MT, was shown.
After receiving much criticism for the lack of diversity, inclusion and respect for the history/memory of Afro-descendant peoples, SEC-MT invited, at the time, Black cultural producers, audiovisual enthusiasts and leaders of the Black movement to “solve” the conflict. From that moment on, some of these Black professionals who met began to discuss together invisibility, racism, intersectionalities and stereotypes about the image of Black people in local works, in addition to the non-presence of Black people in audiovisual production teams, being relegated to subordinate roles, especially women.
– December of 2016: 1ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [1st Black Cinema Festival of Mato Grosso], organized by Black people of the art scene, with institutional support from the Mato Grosso State Department of Culture. From there, as the group organizes itself with frequent meetings and debates between black professionals/audiovisual enthusiasts, the creation of the Coletivo Audiovisual Negro will take place the following year.
– September of 2017: Script and production workshop promoted by SEC-MT, given by Prof. Dr. Celso Prudente. During and after the workshop, meetings took place between Black professionals and enthusiasts, organizing themselves to found the Coletivo Audiovisual Negro Quariterê
– November of 2017: Founding of Coletivo Audiovisual Negro Quariterê
– December of 2017: 2ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [2nd Black Film Festival of Mato Grosso], organized by Coletivo Quariterê with the support of SEC-MT, Secretaria Municipal de Cultura, Esporte e Turismo de Cuiabá [Municipal Secretary of Culture, Sport and Tourism of Cuiabá], Cine Teatro Cuiabá, APAN – Associação dxs Profissionais do Audiovisual Negro [Black Audiovisual Professionals Association] and of TPA – Televisão Pública de Angola [Public Television of Angola]
– November of 2018: 3ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [3rd Black Film Festival of Mato Grosso], carried out by Coletivo Quariterê, with the support of Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso (UFMT); guests: Joyce Prado and Adélia Sampaio
– October of 2019: 4ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [4th Black Film Festival of Mato Grosso], theme: “Aquilombamento”, carried out by Coletivo Quariterê, with the support of Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso (UFMT); guest: Prof. Dr. Celso Prudente
– August of 2020: 5ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [5th Black Film Festival of Mato Grosso], theme “Sobre(Vivência): bem viver do povo preto”, carried out by Coletivo Quariterê in an online format; guest: Jeferson De
– Acquisition of equipment to start the formation of the first Black audiovisual production company in Mato Grosso
– 07/07/2021 – Associação Quariterê’s founding assembly
– March of 2022: 6ª Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso [6th Black Film Festival of Mato Grosso], theme “Afrofuturismo: tecnologia de resistência” [Afrofuturism: resistance technology], carried out by Coletivo Quartiterê in an online format; guest: Zaika dos Santos
Film works made by Coletivo Quariterê
– First independent and collaborative film production by members of Coletivo Quariterê, short film “A velhice Ilumina o Vento”
– “A Velhice Ilumina o Vento” was selected for the Rumos Itaú Cultural 2019/2020 public notice for completion
– Second film production by Coletivo Quariterê, short fiction film “Aqui Jaz a Melodia” – Sponsored by the Aldir Blanc Law of Mato Grosso
– Third film production by Coletivo Quariterê, short documentary “Bendita” – Project contemplated by the Movimentar MT Public Notice
Support from Coletivo Quariterê for the realization of cinematographic projects
– “Deize”: short fiction film (Project contemplated by the Aldir Blanc MT Law)
– “Caeté”: short fiction film (collaborative project)
– “Farinha Festas e Memórias”: short documentary (Project contemplated by the Aldir Blanc MT Law)
Sessão Afrocine [Afrocine Session]: circulation, dissemination and training in Black cinema
The “Afrocine” Black cinema sessions took place in person between 2017, 2018 and 2019. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, in 2020 and 2021 the Afrocine session took place in a virtual format. The screenings aim to promote access, expand the circulation of cinematographic works in schools, peripheral communities and quilombos; to carry out the dissemination, the formation of an audience, with stimulation of creativity respecting local identities, encouraging debates on the themes present in the films.
– Afrocine Online Session in 2021 with the theme “Cinema Afro-Atlântico e a Diáspora Negra” [Afro-Atlantic Cinema and the Black Diaspora], carried out by Coletivo Quariterê; guests: Dr. Edileuza Penha and Dr. Marco Aurelio
– Afrocine Online Session in 2020 with a Facebook broadcast by Cine Teatro Cuiabá
– QuariTV channel on YouTube and IGTV, with interviews with Black personalities about art, mental health and social isolation
– Black Film Festival in the Quilombola Chumbo Community, in 2 consecutive years (2018/2019)
– Screenings in municipal and state schools in Cuiabá and in interior cities throughout 3 years (2017/2018/2019)
– Launch of the short film “Como ser racista em 10 passos” [How to be racist in 10 steps], in 2018, with a full session (300 seats), followed by a debate with directors
Quariterê in numbers
– More than 600 works entered in the 6 editions of Mostra de Cinema Negro de Mato Grosso
– 141 works selected and exhibited
– A public of 7000 spectators for the Mostras de Cinema Negro (in person and online)