(this page was last updated in June 2022)
Brasília, Brazil, 1993.
Lives and works in Núcleo Bandeirante, Brazil.
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee.
Fernanda Azou’s artistic research arises from observations of generational behavior, focusing on the self-destructive actions of young adults. Appropriating the cinematographic term “Gore”, the artist is guided by the feeling of impotence and approaches violence, not as an idealization of catastrophe, but as a representation of the abject side of reality. Azou has been working as a visual artist since 2018, the same year that she participated in the Delphian Open Call exhibition at the Delphian Gallery in London, UK. In 2019, she was selected by the II Vera Brant Contemporary Art Award to participate in an artistic residency at Casa Niemeyer and, in the same year, she participated in the 24th Salão Anapolino de Arte and was one of the awarded artists. In 2020, she participated in the 45th Salão de Artes de Ribeirão Preto and received the acquisition award. In 2021, she held her solo exhibition “@“ at the Museu de Arte de Ribeirão Preto. Her works are in public collections such as the National Museum of Brasília, the Anapolis Museum of Art, the Ribeirão Preto Museum of Art and the Culture House of Latin America.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
Graduation and courses
2012 – 2019 – Bachelor in Architecture and urban planning, University of Brasília, Brasil.
2014-2015 – Sandwich degree in Urban Planning at Newcastle University, United Kingdom
2019 – Course Feminism and Brazilian artists from 60s and 70s – conducted by doctor Talita Trizoli – MASP (Art Museum of São Paulo) – São Paulo, Brazil
2019 Surface diving in George Bataille’s work – conducted by Marília Panitz and Carlos Lin Silva – Nave – Brasília, Brazil
2021 – Punctual questions in contemporary art – Anna Bella Geiger and Fernando Cocchiarale – Parque Lage (online course)
2021 – Aprofundamento (Clínica Geral) – conducted by Thais Rivitti and Raphael Escobar – Ateliê 397 – São Paulo, SP
– @, Art Museum of Ribeirão Preto (MARP), Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
– I bend over backwards to love you, curated by Gisele Lima, Guava Gallery. (online)
– Espelho Labirinto, curated by Aldones Nino and Vicente de Mello, Banco do Brasil Cultural Centre, Brasília, Brazil
– Abstrato e por aí vai, curadoria Iaco Viana, Espaço Tinta, São Paulo – SP
– É um grande STRESS, curated by Rafael da Escossia, Pé Vermelho Cultural Centre, Planaltina, Brazil
– Até onde a vista (des)cansa, curated by Rafael da Escossia and Luciana Paiva, Vilarejo 21, Brasília, Brazil
– Resistência e Convergência, curated by Paulo Henrique Silva, Contemporary Art Museum of Goiânia, Brazil
– Resistência e Convergência, curated by Paulo Henrique Silva, Casa das Onze Janelas, Belém, Brazil.
– Vozes Agudas, Karla Osório Gallery, Brasília, Brazil
– Male Nudes, A salon from 1800 to 2021, Mendes Wood DM gallery, São Paulo, Brazil.
– Mulheres no Acervo, curated by Paulo Henrique Silva, Anápolis Museum (MAPA), Anápolis, Brazil.
– Plantão, Ateliê 397, São Paulo, Brazil
– 45° Art Salon of Ribeirão Preto – Art Museum of Ribeirão Preto (MARP), Ribeirão Preto, Brazil
– II Vera Brant’s prize of Contemporary art, Renato Russo Cultural Centre, Brasília, Brazil
– 24° Anapolino’s Art Salon – Antônio Sibasolly gallery, Anápolis, Brazil
– Puteal, curated by Gisele Lima, A Pilastra gallery, Brasília, Federal District
– Contraforte – 24° International Biennale of Curitiba, Renato Russo Cultural Centre, Brasília, Brazil
– A menina mais feia da turma, curated by Juliana Bernardino, Ateliê 397, São Paulo, Brazil
– Antes ditas, opening No. 4, Casa Baka Cultura Centre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
– Triangular, curated by Ana Avelar e Gisele Lima, Casa Niemeyer Cultural Centre – Brasília, Brazil
– Illustratorinnen Kleiner Formats, Karne Kunst Gallery, Berlin, Germany
– Como Resistir no mundo de hoje?, Bahia’s University of Fine Arts, Brazil
– Delphian open call, Delphian Gallery, London – United Kingdom
– Onde Anda a Onda III, Cultural Centre Renato Russo, Brasília, Brasil
– Nominated for the 2022 Pipa Prize
– 24° Anapolino’s `Art Salon (acquisition prize)
– 45° Art Salon of Ribeirão Preto (acquisition prize)
– II Vera Brant’s prize of Contemporary art (Artistic Residence at Casa Niemeyer Cultural Centre)
– Art Museum of Anápolis, Brazil
– National Museum, Brasília, Brazil
– Cultural Centre of Latin America, Brasília, Brazil
– Art Museum of Ribeirão Preto, Brazil
– Acervo Rotativo – Public collection curated by Laerte Ramos
2019 – Casa Niemeyer Cultural Centre, as a part of the II Vera Brant’s Contemporary Art prize, Brasília, Brazil