(this page was last updated in March 2020)
Geneva, Switzerland, 1983.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA 2019 Winner.
PIPA 2019 nominee.
Member of the PIPA Prize Nominating Committee 2020.
Guerreiro do Divino Amor holds a Master’s degree in Architecture. His research explores the Superfictions, hidden forces that interfere in the construction of territory and of the collective imaginary. He creates a universe of science fiction from fragments of reality, that results in films, publications and installations.
The artist has participated in the Gran bienal tropical de Porto Rico, in the Biennale of Moving Images of Geneva, in which he was the finalist of the “Generations” prize, in Arte Pará 2018 and in exhibitions at Fundação Iberê Camargo (Porto Alegre, Brazil), Casa França-Brasil (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), MAR (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), Centro de Arte contemporânea de Vilnius (Lithuania), among others. In 2018, he held the solo show “Superfictions” at Paço das Artes (MIS-SP, Brazil). He was an artist in residency at Pivô-Pesquisa (São Paulo, Brazil), at CAL (Brasília, Brazil) and won the Bolsa Pampulha 2019. His films were screened in several national and international festivals (Mexico, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, Spain etc) and the film “De repente Bárbara” won Best Short Film on the TrangenderFilm Festival 2015 (Kiel, Germany).
Guerreiro is also a member of the group and carnival academy Bunytos de Corpo, which satirizes the cult of the body through collective performances in the streets of Rio de Janeiro.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2019:
Grant holder for the programme “Imersões Poéticas”, Casa França-Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Grant holder for the seminar “imagem em movimento”, EAV Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Grant holder for the technical training course “Sound and Video Design”, Cimdata Medienakademie, Berlin
Instituto La Cambre Artes visuais (Brussels): Atelier “Espaços Urbanos”
Master’s degree in Architecture from École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Grenoble (France) and La Cambre (Brussels)
Paço Das Artes, MIS São Paulo, curated by Clarissa Diniz
– “Renovação Carismática”, Caixa Preta, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Palavras somam”, MAB-FAAP (Museum of Brasilian Art), São Paulo, Brazil
– Arte Pará 2018, curated by Paulo Herkenhof and Vânia Leal, Belém, Brazil
– “Somos Muitxs”, curated by Bernardo Mosqueira and Catarina Duncan, Solar do Abacaxis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Comuna Intergaláctica”, Planetário do Ibirapuera, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Unânime Noite, volume 3”, curated by Bernardo De Souza, Fundação Iberê Camargo, Porto Alegre, Brazil
– “Aqui, bem ao Sul”, curated by Marcos Moraes, Bienalsur, MAB (Museu de arte brasileira), São Paulo, Brazil
– “Vivemos na melhor cidade da América do Sul”, curated by B. J. De Souza and V. Gorgulho, Fundação Iberê Camargo, Porto Alegre, Brazil
– “Suposto Norte | Suposto Sul” , curated by de João Paulo Quintella and Michelle Sommer, Cafuné, Berlin
– “Unanimous Night”, curated by Bernardo de Souza, Contemporary Art Centre, Vilnius, Lithuania
– “O terceiro mundo pede a bênção e vai dormir”, DESPINA, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Swiss Art Awards 2017 (Parallel to Art Basel)
– “Imersões”, Casa França Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Abre Alas 13”, Galeria A Gentil Carioca, Brazil
– 2nd Gran Bienal Tropical de Puerto Rico
– Biennale of Moving Images, Centre d’Art Contemporain, Geneva, Switzerland
– “Vivemos na melhor cidade da américa do sul”, Átomos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Linguagens do corpo carioca”, curated by Paulo Herkenhof, MAR, Museu de Arte do Rio, Rio de Janeiro, RJ
– “Unânime Noite”, curated by Bernardo de Souza, Galeria Bolsa de Arte , São Paulo, Brazil
– Mostra imagem em movimento do Parque Lage, Casa França Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Da urgência de cada um”, curated by Jõao Modé and Alexandre Sá, DESPINA, Largo das Artes, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “A Mão Negativa”, curated by Bernardo De Souza, EAV parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Brazil” , Galeria Substitut, Berlin
– Swiss Art Awards 2008 (Parallel to Art Basel)
– Cultural center of the Brazilian embassy in Brussels, presentation of the project “SuperRio”
– Project “Mémoire en Demeure ”, by Tadashi Kamamata, França (design of the structure)
– Beneflux, Urban Art Festival, Brussels, “Diner Chic” installation.
– Part of the collections from MAR Rio de Janeiro’s art museum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– MAB – FAAP São Paulo, Brazil
Awards and competitions
– Cine Esquema Novo (honorable mention)
– Swiss Art Awards 2017 (finalist)
– Finalist Generations Prize at the Biennale of Moving Images in Geneva
– Best short film (De repente, Barbara), Transgender Film festival in Kiel, Germany
– “Angu de Ouro 2015”, Best curator’s film, Cineclube Mate com Angu, Duque de Caxias, RJ, Brasil
– Finalist for the film award “Grande Prêmio Vivo do cinema brasileiro” (with the film “Clube da Criança”)
– Swiss Arts Awards 2008 (finalist)
– Winner of the award “La Cambre Architecture“ “ The Battle of Brussels”
– Residência CAL UnB, Brasília, Brazil (September and October)
– Pivô Pesquisa, São Paulo, Brazil (April until July)
– FAAP, São Paulo, Brazil (August until December)
Participation in festivals and screenings
– Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, special screening of “Artifice and Fiction”, La Salle college
– Festival Curta Cinema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Itaú Cultural SP, “Conversations in São Paulo: cultural exchanges in asymmetric contexts”, São Paulo, Brazil
– Festival Cine Esquema Novo, Porto Alegre, Brazil
– Centro de Arte Dos de Mayo (Madrid), Mostra «Hasta que las cosas y los cuerpos sean como queremos que sean», Spain
– Tokyo Fetish Film Festival, Tokyo, Japan
– Mostra do filme livre 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 (CCBB SP/RJ/DF/BH) (Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Brazil)
– Semana Cinerama, UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Festival Mix México, Ciudad do Mexico, Mexico
– Mostra Strangloscope, MIS Museu da imagem e do som, Florianópolis, Brazil
– FFF San José, Costa Rica
– Antebellum Festival, Los Angeles, USA
– Transgender Film Festival Manila (Filipinas), Copenhague, London e Kiel
– Mostra Kino Olho Rio Claro
– Curta Santos
– Maranhão na tela
– Vira Cultura maratona cultural, Conjunto nacional, São Paulo, Brazil
Researcher and editor (artist’s films, fiction, documentaries, institutions), 2D and 3D animation, graphic designer, teacher, VJ and art producer for various films and projects in Brussels, Berlin and Rio de Janeiro.
- Discover the digital art event "not cancelled Brazil"
- Guerreiro do Divino Amor is the guest in the second episode of Artifício. Available now!
- Last week to see the Finalists Exhibition and PIPA 2019 catalog release
- Meet the PIPA Prize 2019 Winner!
- Clipping | BBC UK radio reportage about Brazilian art mentions PIPA Prize
- Luiz Camillo Osorio in conversation with Guerreiro do Divino Amor
- MEET THE PIPA PRIZE 2019 AWARD JURY MEMBERS
- See some pictures of the Pipa Prize 2019 Exhibition
- Watch the videos of PIPA Prize 2019 finalists
- Read more about the PIPA Prize 2019 finalists!