(this page was last updated in August 2023)
São Paulo, Brazil, 1999
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2023 nominee
Bretas is an undergraduate student in Architecture from FAU-USP (Brazil), a visual artist and researcher within the Demonumenta project. His artistic work has as its main theme the Imagery of Memory, combining politics, technology and history in multiple formats. Among his works, the creation of ‘DeepFakes’ stands out as a tool for intervening in African and Indigenous memory in Brazil, using Artificial Intelligence to tension temporalities and imaginaries. For this, Bretas transforms faces of Afro-indigenous people, portrayed more than 150 years ago, into animated videos. The most common final medium of his creations is urban VideoMapping in spaces of Memory.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2023:
“‘Nossa pele reluz como ouro’, de Guilherme Bretas”, 2022. Duration: 3’20”
“Jefferson Placido – Jogo do Bicho (Clipe Oficial)”, 2022.
Script, direction and research by Guilherme Bretas. Duration: 3’25”
“SSA MAPPING 21 | Encruzilhadas da Memória: Abre Meus Caminhos – Bretas VJ”, 2021. Duration: 1’39”
In 2020, within Demonumenta, the artist organized 421 photographs of Black people registered in the 1860s in the city of São Paulo. One of the largest photographic collections of Afro-indigenous representation in Brazil in the 19th century.
Guilherme has already collaborated in several actions related to Memory and Technology in institutions such as: Rede Sesc, Unibes Cultural, Centro Cultural Vila Itoró, Consulate General of Ireland, among others. In 2022, he gave the lecture: “Projection Mapping in Brazilian Territories” at NYU’s Interactive Communication Program.
In addition, the artist has collaborated throughout his career with several other artists, projects, companies and researchers such as: Giselle Beiguelman, Almir Almas, Coletivo Coletores, Gabriel Rolim, Festival de Fotografia de Paranapiacaba, Centro Cultural Ouvidor 63, Nike, HBO and Globosat, SSA Mapping, Festival do Futuro, having already exhibited his works in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasília, Salvador and New York.
– Undergraduate student at the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism of the University of São Paulo (FAUUSP), Brazil
– Researcher of Afro-indigenous memory and iconography at the Demonumenta group at FAU-USP
– Lecturer of “Projection Mapping in Brazilian Territories: Sharing experiences on Video, Activism and Race” at the Interactive Communication Program of NYU, New York, USA
– Awarded student at the contest “Ulysses@100 Pelos Olhos Brasileiros: Mural Eletrônico”, ECA-USP, FFLCH-USP, Irish consulate
– Associated video jockey at the Festival de Fotografia de Paranpiaca (2020-2022)
– Selected artist at the 30ª Mostra de Arte da Juventude do SESC, São Paulo, Brazil
– Selected artist at Imagecon Festival, São Paulo, Brazil
– Selected artist at the SSA Mapping Festival Open Call, VideoMapping Festival at Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
– Selected artist at the FESTIVAL.MOV Open Call, VideoMapping Festival at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Lecture about TouchDesign at the MultiMeios Week of Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, Brazil
– Producer and curator at the Mixtura Coletiva collective (2017-2019)
“Mostra de Arte da Juventude | Guilherme Bretas”, 2023. Duration: 5’28”