(this page was last updated in August 2021)
Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 1995.
Lives and works between Belo Horizonte and Contagem, Brazil.
Represented by Periscópio Arte Contemporânea, Brazil.
PIPA 2021 nominee.
Luana grew up in Contagem, an industrial city that made her body live through iron and soot. Raised by a carpenter (father) and a wordsmith (mother), she moves as she prays, searching for survival and healing of the landscapes she inhabits. Luana understands the body itself as a trap, and her actions as micropolitics that deal with the spatiality that her work evokes, confronts and confuses
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2021:
“Cadeia de Corpo, Estudo I – Luana Vitra”, 2020. Duration: 11’26”
– Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts with a major in sculpture from Escola Guignard – UEMG (Minas Gerais State University)
– “Three Wars inside the Chest”, Centro Cultural São Paulo – CCSP, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Torn body in a state of open sky”, Periscópio Arte Contemporânea Gallery, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– “Carrying the poem on your back”, Sesiminas Cultural Center art gallery, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– “Casa Carioca”, curated by Marcelo Campos and Joice Berth, Rio Museum of Art – MAR, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Exhibition EDP Prize in Arts, Instituto Tomie Ohtake, São Paulo, Brazil
– “The best part of the journey is the delay”, curated by Diane Lima, Valongo Festival, Santos, Brazil; Ribeirão Preto art salon, Museum of art of Ribeirão Preto, Ribeirão Preto, Brazil
– Short Scenes Festival, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– “BRAsA”, curated by Marcel Diogo, Mama Cadela Gallery, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– “Tactile Show”, Palácio das Artes, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– “Sangria”, Quartoamado Gallery, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– Internal exhibition Escola Guignard, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Residencies and Laboratories
– Residency “Outra Margem”, curator: Clara Sampaio, Vitória, Brazil
– Frestas Arts Triennial, Study Program, curated by: Diane Lima, Beatriz Lemos, Thiago de Paula. Sesc Sorocaba, Sorocaba, Brazil
– LAB cultural BDMG Artes Cênicas, tutorship: Grace Passô, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– Residency “Entre Nós”, curator: Clara Sampaio, Morro da Vargem Zen Monastery, Ibiraçú, Brazil
– Prize Residency of creation in visual arts, Teresina, Brazil
– Residency in artistic research, Cefart, FAPEMIG and Fundação Clóvis Salgado, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– EDP arts award, Tomie Ohtake Institute, São Paulo, Brazil
– Visual Arts Residency Prize, Teresina, Brazil
Works in public collections
– “Counterspell”, work inspired by the author Carolina Maria de Jesus and developed for the collection of touchable objects at the Museum of the Portuguese Language, São Paulo, Brazil
“PÍLULA EDP NAS ARTES: Luana Vitra”, 2020. Duration: 3’00”