(this page was last updated in August 2023)
Brasilia, DF, 1978
Lives and works in Newcastle, Australia
PIPA Prize 2023 nominee
My cradle, Brasilia. Land of modernity, abstraction, straight lines and planned curves. Design, architecture and location by numbers. So I grew up navigating these structures in a designed, mathematically coordinated garden city occupied by life, people, plants and animals. Everything that was once planned will always be occupied by life, never stable, always dynamic. This is how I think about my artwork, based on the idea that design will become complex one day. I create technological poetic innovations that temporarily turn into systems that act in the world.
I’ve always believed that technology and culture go hand in hand and that challenging the trajectory of capitalist appropriation of technology is one of the most vital political expressions I could make. Penetrate the heart of the most high-tech and demonstrate the delicacy of structures through organic logic. That’s why I create robotic plants and artificial life and use computing, technology, science and art as sources of inspiration. Nature, for me, is not an external refuge. It is recursive, contingent, logical and complex.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2023:
“FLORES” [FLOWERS] series, 2021
“A-Memory Garden” series, 2013
“Promenade e Sapatinho de Judia” [Promenade and Indian Clock Vine], 2015
“Knobby Clubrush – promo video”, 2021. Duration: 3’25”
“Knobby Clubrush 24hours timelapse”, 2021. Duration: 2’01”
“A-PAPER GARDEN”, 2015. Duration: 3’30”
“AMemoryMontagem”, 2013. Duration: 0’03”
Self-driven Research in Robotics and Computer Creativity, Sensilab,
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia,
Supervisor: Jon McCormack
– Doctoral Degree
Research in Art and Technology,
University of Brasilia, UnB – Brazil.
Research: System Interactivity in Computer Arts,
Supervisor: Suzete Venturelli
– MA (research), Visual Arts
Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil.
Research: Interactive Computer arts: Sensor and Multitouch Interface Development,
Supervisor: Francisco Marinho
– MA (coursework), Design (Digital Media)
University of Western Sydney (UWS), Sydney, Australia.
Supervisor: Leon Cmielewski.
– BA, Industrial Design (graphic design),
University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil.
– BA, Computer Science (software engineering),
Catholic University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil.
– English as Medium of Instruction for Academics
Areas of Specialization
– Computer & Digital Arts, Interaction Design, Artificial Systems and Robotics in Art & Technology
Areas of Competence
– Programming, Agent System development in Artificial Intelligence, Interaction, Interface and Graphic Design
– Lecturer in Design (Game Art/Interactive Design), University of Newcatle, UON, Australia
– Professor of Digital Art and Design, Federal University of Minas Gerais, UFMG, Brazil
– Visiting Professor in Nanyang Technological University, School of Art Design & Media, Singapore
– Assistant Professor of Interaction Design (Postgraduate Coursework), Catholic Pontifical University of Minas Gerais, PUC Minas, Brazil
– Francisco Carlos de Carvalho Marinho & Marilia Lyra Bergamo, “Technology and delicacy: strategies of everyday simplicity in the generation of complex aesthetic results”. In: Gisele Andrade. (Org.). Multiverso. 1ed.Rio de Janeiro: Martins Fontes, 2020, v. 1, p. 53-60.
“Arte Procedural – Marilia Bergamo”, 2021. Duration: 9’53”
“ART Knobby Clubrush”, 2021. Duration: 5′
“Professora da UFMG recebe prêmio por excelência no ensino”, 2019. Duration: 3’42”