(this page was last updated in September 2023)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1990.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Represented by Millan Gallery.
PIPA Prize 2019 and 2020 nominee.
PIPA Prize 2020 finalist.
PIPA Prize 2020 winner.
Member of the PIPA Nominating Committee 2021.
Works in the PIPA Institute Collection
Maxwell Alexandre (Rio de Janeiro, 1990) lives and works in the favela da Rocinha. Raised in the evangelical church’s beliefs, the artist’s served in the army and has also been professional street roller skater for 12 years. He’s graduated in Design from a Catholic university, PUC-RJ, in 2016. In 2018, he was recognized by the Archdiocese and received the prize São Sebastião de Cultura. Maxwell considers his works as prayers and his atelier as a temple. His young career has international recognition.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes, exclusively for PIPA Prize 2020:
Graduated in Design at PUC-RJ in 2016. In 2006 and 2009, he participated in the Photography Course to register the renovation works for the PAC (Growth Acceleration Program) in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro. In 2020 he took part in the artistic residency in Morocco with an invitation of Macaal – Museum of African Contemporary Art, in Marrakech, which resulted in a large installation in the institution, for the group exhibition “Have You Seen A Horizon Lately?”. In the second semester, he is scheduled to hold his next residency at SAM Art Projects, which will result in his solo show at the Palais de Tokyo, in Paris. Later this year, he will hold his solo show at David Zwirner London Gallery, in England. In 2019, he toured with his solo show “Pardo é Papel”, held at MAR – Museu de Arte do Rio, and also at MAC Lyon – Musée d’art contemporain de Lyon, in France, his first international solo exhibition. In the same year, he was announced as the winner of the São Sebastião de Cultura 2018 award from the Associação Cultural da Arquidiocese do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In 2018, he participated in an artistic residency at the Delfina Foundation in London, as well as in the collective exhibitions ‘Recortes da Arte Brasileira’ at Berlin Art Fair, ‘Crônicas Urgentes’ at Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel gallery, São Paulo, and ‘Histórias Afro-Atlânticas’ at the Museu de Arte de São Paulo. Still in 2018, he presented the solo show ‘O Batismo de Maxwell Alexandre’ and participated in the collective exhibition ‘Abre Alas 14’, both in the A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro. In 2017 he took part of the collective show ‘Carpintaria para todos’ at Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, and held the solo ‘Laje só existe com gente’ at Rocinha Surfe Escola (Rocinha Surf School), in Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, show when he exhibited for the first time the series “Pardo é Papel (Brown is Paper)”.
His works integrate important collections such as Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo; Museu de Arte de São Paulo; MAR – Museu de Arte do Rio, Rio de Janeiro Musée d’art Contemporain de Lyon, in France.
- O Globo (2018)
- O Globo (2019)
- Revista Trip
- Folha de São Paulo (2018)
- Conceptual Fine Arts
- Revista Continente
- Select – Pardo é Papel
- Revista Select
- O Globo – ArtRio
- O Dia – Descoloração Global
- G1 – Descoloração Global
- Newcity Brazil
- Featherblend Art
- Visible Project
Design, Graduação, Departamento de Artes & Design, PUC-RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Pardo é Papel”, MAR, Museu de Arte do Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Cerimônia de Batismo Coletivo”, ArtRio 2019, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Pardo é Papel’, MAC Lyon, Lyon, France
– ‘O Batismo de Maxwell Alexandre’, A Gentil Carioca gallery, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Pardo é Papel’, Complexo Esportivo da Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Laje só existe com gente’, Escola Surfe – Complexo Esportivo da Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Universo Clandestino’, Escola Surfe – Complexo Esportivo da Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Exposição Cínica’, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “HAVE YOU SEEN A HORIZON LATELY?”, The Museum of African Contemporary Art Al Maaden, MACAAL, Marrakech, Morocco
– “Brasil!”, Museo Ettore Fico, Torino, Italy
– “Our selfie”, Lewben Art Foundation, Vilnius, Lithuania
– “Sob a Gravidade de um Pequeno Sol”, Solar Grandjean de Montigny, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “It’s Urgent (2nd edition)”, Luma Westbau, Zurich, Switzerland
– 36o Panorama da Arte Brasileira: Sertão, Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo, MAM-SP, São Paulo, Brazil
– Clube de Colecionadores 6, Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro, MAM-RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Recortes da Arte Brasileira’, Art Berlin Fair, Berlin, Germany
– ‘Crônicas Urgentes’, galeria Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– ‘Histórias Afro-Atlânticas’, MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
– ‘Carpintaria para todos’, galeria Fortes D’Aloia & Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil
– ‘Desenho como matriz fotográfica’, Studio Line, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– ‘Descamada’, Fábrica Bhering, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– The Museum of African Contemporary Art Al Maaden, MACAAL, Marrakech, Morocco
– Lyon Contemporary Art Museum, Lyon, France
– Delfina Foundation, London, UK
– MAC Lyon, Musée d’art Contemporain de Lyon, Lyon, France
– Perez Art Museum Miami, Miami, USA
– MAM-RJ, Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
– Pinacoteca de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
– MASP, Museu de Arte de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
– MAR, Museu de Arte do Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes, exclusively for PIPA Prize 2019
- Last weeks to visit "New Power: possibility": Maxwell Alexandre's solo show in Spain
- Last days to visit "Pardo é Papel: The Glorious Victory and New Power": Maxwell Alexandre's first solo show in North America
- Brazilian galleries participate in Paris+ par Art Basel
- Brazilian galleries participate in Art Basel 2022
- Last days to see Maxwell Alexandre, avaf and Sandra Cinto at the Thailand Biennale
- Last month to see "New Power", by Maxwell Alexandre
- "Displacement" collection: check out Maxwell Alexandre's and Romy Pocztaruk's works acquired by PIPA Institute
- Virtually visit the group show "Postmodernism Brazilianness", which is in its last days
- PIPA Prize and PIPA Institute's exhibitions are on display at Paço Imperial (Rio de Janeiro)
- Meet the five Selected Artists of PIPA Prize 2021