(this page was last updated in August 2021)
Itaguaí, Brazil, 1992.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA 2021 nominee.
Nídia Aranha (@nidia_aranha) was born in Itaguaí, in the lowlands of Rio de Janeiro. The artist studied Product Design & Visual Communication (UFRJ) and also works as an art director and researcher in the visual anthropology segment. Her artistic practice involves the construction of subversive visual narratives with fictional + documentary elements, which touch on gender disobedience relations; Critical and speculative design assuming the most varied supports: laboratory devices, prosthetics and surgical instruments making use of jewelry techniques. Biohacking practices, with performativity and its registers (painting, photography, digital manipulation and videography) as an affirmation of these experimental scientific methodologies.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2021:
“MILKING”, 2020. Duration: 2’26”
“BODY_SUM APPLICATION”, 2020. Duration: 20″
“Milking – Research”, 2017. Duration: 1’55”
– Stone and Aria course, coordinated by Ulisses Carrilho and Clarissa Diniz, Parque Lage School of Visual Arts, EAV, Brazil
– Painting Workshop: collage as a mapping of the creative process, coordinated by Letícia Lopes
– Mouse Trap, coordinated by Cadu and Arthur Chaves, Brazil
2013 – 2020
– Industrial Design, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ
2017 – 2018
– Orbit Program, Clothing Design, coordinated by Petra Metzger, Center-br, RJ, Central Saint Martins
– Generation House, coordinated by Nadine Gonzales, Spectacular, School of Art and Technology, Brazil
– Creation & Coordination, Senac, Brazil
– Graphic and Digital Design, Instituto Europeu de Design, IED, Madrid, Spain
– Rationale, coordinated by Cristina de Pádula, Alexandre Dacosta, Ivair Reinaldim and Angelo Venosa, Parque Lage School of Visual Arts, EAV, Brazil
– 3rd Urban Imaginary Festival
– Cine Diversity, Brazil
– Color Cinema Exhibition, Brazil
– FOLIA DE 6, Textword contest, Center-br, Brazil
– Peripheral Views Festival, Honorable Mention, Brazil
– Experimental Film, FIAM-FAAM, Brazil
Lançamento da Plataforma Virtual | 3º Festival Imaginários Urbanos, 2021. Duration: 126’20”