(this page was last updated in March 2018)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1986.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Represented by Anita Schwartz Galeria de Arte.
PIPA Prize 2017 nominee.
Arthur Chaves has a fashion degree by the University Veiga de Almeida (2007), Rio de Janeiro, the artist is devoted to drawing in its multiple meanings. His lasts pieces combine painting, drawing and sewing into pieces of fabric with no definite shape. Between 2007 and 2016, he participated in the exhibitions of the Casa França Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; in The School for Curatorial Studies, Venice, Italy; in the School of Visual Arts in the Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, and the Ateliê Subterrânea, Porto Alegre, Brazil. Currently, he a professor of the course of Procedência e Propriedade in the Ateliê Novo Mundo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2017:
- "The Silence of Tired Tongues" presents thirteen emerging artists born in Brazil
- The intersections between the works of four artists in "Arthur, Janina, Marco e Pedro"
- Meet PIPA Prize 2017 nominees through a series of exclusive videos
- Meet the PIPA Prize 2017 participating artists
- View the complete list of the PIPA Prize 2017 nominees