(this page was last updated in February 2019)
Brasília, Brazil, 1980.
Lives and works in Recife, Brazil
PIPA 2010 and 2017 nominee.
PIPA 2017 winner.
Nominating Committee Member PIPA 2019.
Although she favors exploration of straitened or ‘peripheral’ situations in her native Brazil or in Holland and China (as in her most recent photographic series), Bárbara Wagner is not interested in a documentary type slant. Far from being essays in photojournalism her photos do not present her subjects as ‘victims’ (in accordance with a predefined perspective, as often occurs). What they put forward is a less orthodox and conventional method of approaching these subjects: through posing (as in the studio photograph) which brings the subjects onstage in an active and aware manner, representing them as they choose to be represented; and through stylistic features such as the use of the flash outdoors, saturation of colours, compositional care and attention. With these elements, Wagner builds up lively frames that capture the subjects’ free and often self-ironical performance: in a natural way they take over and play with the photographic space and with the eye of the beholder.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2017:
Bárbara Wagner developed until 2006, the photography project, “Brasília Teimosa”, published in 2007 and showcased in solo exhibitions in the cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro e Brasília.
In 2008 the artist held solo exhibitions at the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA), London, and at the Extraspazio, in Rome. In the same year, Wagner was invited by the Fundação Made in Mirrors, to participate in residency programmes in Vitamin Creative Space (China) and the Museu Het Domein (Netherlands), where she published a book titled “O que é bonito é pra se ver”.
In 2009, her works were acquired by the collection of Pirelli/Masp de Fotografia, and was selected by the programme Rumos Visuais, of Instituto Itaú Cultural.
In 2010, her works were acquired by the Museum of Modern Art SP and was exhibited in group shows at Luisa Strina Gallery, A Gentil Carioca, Instituto Wyspa (Polando), FotoTrier (Germany), Fesman (Senegal) e Bulegoa (Spain). In the same year Wagner was nominated for the first edition of PIPA Prize and had a solo exhibition at Marcantonio Vilaça Gallery (Real/Santander) and published a book in the city of Recife titled “Ensaio”.
In 2011, the artist was nominated by the São Paulo Biennale to participate in the Art Bienniale (Switzerland), in the same year she participated in the group exhibition “Geraçao 00″ at Sesc Belenzinho in São Paulo. Bárbara Wagner has a Masters Degree in Visual Art by the Dutch Art Institute, Holland, where she published her most recent work “Era uma vez no Oeste.”
–“Estrela Brilhante”, Instituto Cultural Banco Real/ Santander, São Paulo, Brazil
-“DSM Hoofdkantoor”, Heerlen, The Netherlands
-“Brasília Teimosa”, e x t r a s p a z i o, Rome, Italy
-“Brasília Teimosa”, Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA), London, UK
-“Woonwagenbewoners” – A work in progress, Museum Het Domein Sittard, Netherlands
-“Brasília Teimosa”, Caixa Cultural, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Brazil
-“Brasília Teimosa”, Malakoff Tower, Recife, Brazil
– “More to Tell”, Recent acquisitions for the collection, Museum Het Domein, Sittard, Netherlands
– Lulea Art Biennal LAB 11, Lulea, Sweden
– LEBEN elementar, FotoTageTrier 2010, Trier, Germany
– “Made in Mirrors”, Museum Het Domein, Sittard, Netherlands
– “Rumos”, Instituto Itau Cultural, São Paulo | Paço Imperial, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Photography Collection Pirelli-Masp, Masp – Museum of Art of São Paulo, Brazil
– “Brazilian Summer – Art & the City”, Museum Het Domein, Sittard, Netherlands
– “Trilhas do Desejo”, Rumos Artes Visuais, São Paulo, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Book release “Brasília Teimosa”, Forte das Cinco Pontas, Recife, Brazil
– “Estética da Periferia” at Museum of Modern Art Aloísio Magalhães, Mamam, in Recife, Brazil
– “Linguagens”, Torre Malakoff, Recife, Brazil
– “FotoGarça”, Maceió, Brazil
– “JF em foco”, Juiz de Fora, Brazil
– “Brasília Teimosa” at CAIXA Cultural- São Paulo, and Caixa Cultural- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– She receives a scholarship from Fundação do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico de Pernambuco (Fundarpe) to develop the project “Brasília Teimosa”, inside the program of the 46th Salão de Artes Plásticas de Pernambuco.
– First solo exhibition of the photographs for the “Brasilia Teimosa” project at Torre Malakoff, PE, inside the exhibition for the scholars of the 46th Fine Arts Salon of Pernambuco.
– She works in Agência Lumiar de Fotografia in the areas of advertising, institutional and journalism. Publishes several magazines and national newspapers. During this period, she participated in two group shows in exhibition venues in Recife.
– Graduated in journalism, develops monograph on photography as “urban representation” by analyzing images of the Jornal do Commercio, Recife, where she works as a professional photographer.
– Museu de Arte de São Paulo, MASP
– Photography Collection Pirelli-MASP, São Paulo, Brazil
– Museum Het Domein, Sittard, Netherlands
– DSM, Heerlen, Netherlands
– Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo, MAM, São Paulo, Brazil
– Made in Mirrors Foundation / Vitamin Creative Space
– Guangzhou, China (October 2008)
– Made in Mirrors / Museum Het Domein
– Sittard, Netherlands (November 2008)
– Brasília Teimosa, Fotografias. Bárbara Wagner
– Text: Helder Aragão and Julia Rebouças
– Edition: 1000
– O que é bonito é pra se ver / That which is beautiful must be seen.
– Bárbara Wagner. Museum Het Domein
– Texts: Cristiana Tejo and Roel Arkesteijn
– Edition: 1000
– ENSAIO. Bárbara Wagner
– Text: Giuliano Sergio
– Edition: 1000
– “A Dança que Desafia o Retrato”, by Ana Maria Maia – Revista Select 2016
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2010:
- Meet the members of the PIPA 2019 Nominating Committee
- Launching of PIPA 2019: see what's new in the tenth edition of the Prize
- Bárbara Wagner and Benjamin de Búrca screen "Rise" for the first time
- Bárbara Wagner participates in Open Talk at Residency Unlimited
- SP-Arte reaches its 14th edition
- Art Basel Hong Kong reunites galleries from 32 countries
- "Corpo a Corpo" lands in Instituto Moreira Salles Rio de Janeiro
- PIPA Prize 2018 nominees to be announced shortly
- The methodology of the meeting in Bárbara Wagner's work, by Júlia Rebouças
- Watch the announcement of the PIPA Prize 2017 winner
- Watch the PIPA Prize 2017 Finalists' Exhibition making-of video
- Bárbara Wagner | Nominated Artist 2010