(this page was last updated in July 2017)
João Pessoa, Brazil, 1976.
Lives and works in Brasília, Brazil.
Represented by Referência Galeria de Arte.
PIPA 2017 nominee.
Christus Nóbrega has been exploring the image through the exceptionality of its character of vertigo, raising the suspicion of its relation of immanence with our world. In speaking of worlds, apparently his or others’ that cross him, he explores compostable images in his transition between photography, photo-object, video, and computational art.
Among the issues that permeate him are the body, as the epitome of the artist subject and his condition of creator. He is also interested are collective research methodologies. This is the case of the Sudário (2013) in which the artist developed with a team of doctors and chemists an inkjet print cartridge with his own blood. With it he prints the plants of ritual symbolism of protection and problematizes the relations of power of the State on the body.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2017:
Artist and professor of the department of Visual Art (VIS) of the University of Brasília (UnB). Masters and doctorate in Contemporary Art by the PPG-Arte UnB. Lectures and organises the courses of post-graduation in Arts and Design in the same institution. In 2015, he was invited by Itamaraty to hold an artistic residency in China. He was awarded by the Museu da Casa Brasileira (2005) and Programa Cultural Petrobras (2005) and (2009). Awarded by the CCBB edict (2017/2018) for him solo exhibition with the curatorship of Renata Azambuja. Some of the exhibits are Humano-Pós- Humano (2005) CCBB-Brasília; Rio Setecentista, Quando o Rio Virou Capital (2015) in MAR- Museum of Art Rio; Asas à Raízes (2015) in Caixa Cultural – Rio de Janeiro; Entrecopas (2014) in the Nacional Museum– Brasília; Duplo Olhar (2013) in the Paço das Artes – São Paulo and Se Liga (2008) in the Santander Cultural – Porto Alegre, Brazil. He has works in the archives of private and institutional collections such as the Foundation Cartier pour L’art Contemporaine, Central Academy of Fine Art – China, Brazilian Embassy in China, National Museum and Rio Art Museum – MAR.
- PIPA Online 2017 | View the scoreboard on the 5th day of voting
- 2nd round of PIPA Online 2017 | View the current scoreboard
- More interviews with PIPA Prize 2017 nominees
- New artist pages added to the PIPA Prize website
- Meet the PIPA Prize 2017 participating artists
- View the complete list of the PIPA Prize 2017 nominees
- PIPA Prize 2017 Nominees | 1st Bulletin
- Last days | "Asas a Raízes", with Gê Orthof, José Rufino and Rosana Ricalde
- Last days | A-PLAY.[ENTRE ARTISTAS]III
- Group exhibition discusses the dimensions of games in contemporaneity