(this page was last updated in July 2017)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1985.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA 2017 nominee.
Mario Bands is a communicator, arts educator and graffiti artist. He is an artist who intervenes in the urban environment with artworks marked by intense geometry use and precise lighting, shadowing and colouring. Mario Bands uses graffiti to move elements, cause confusion and betray the observer’s look by placing new shapes in the mediums he uses. With a sharp look, Bands seeks spaces and objects to express his artistic gesture, often turning to places that are excluded from the art circuit. Bands graduated in Social Communications – Advertising from Hélio Alonso Integrated College, in Rio de Janeiro. He also went to Parque Lage Visual Arts School.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2017:
Mario Bands has intervened in the following spaces:
– “Cubo de Ensaio”, Calouste Gulbenkian Arts Centre, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Quarta Mostra”, Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Cultura Visual Urbana”, CasaShopping, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Entre a fazenda e o Arranha Céu” projet, São Luiz da Boa Sorte Farm
– Artistic intervention on the National Library fences, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Registros de uma Guerra Surda”, National Archive, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Graffiti ao vivo, Cidadania em debate”, Museum of the Republic, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Memórias”, Praça do Conhecimento, Complexo do Alemão, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Salve Jorge 23”, CAZA Arte Contemporânea
– Communications Week, Salesiana University, Macaé, Brazil
– Espaço RABISCO, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Projeto Cultural Agência Graffiti ETE JK & AF BNDES, BNDES, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Abre Aspas Sketch Books”, Galeria ACASA, Curitiba, Brazil
– “Zizomba”, Music School of the Rio de Janeiro Federal University, Brazil
– “Arte do Graffiti e Pedagogia Crítica” , Unisuam, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Areca Carioca Dicró, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Arte Urbana”, Sesc Ramos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil