(this page was last updated in July 2016)
São Paulo, Brazil, 1961.
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
PIPA nominee 2011.
Ricardo Basbaum is an artist, writer and curator.
He works around social and interpersonal relationships, developing a communicative framework to
enable the circulation of actions and forms. With diagrams, drawings, texts and installations, he has
been able to create dialogical situations in which the individual personal experience and exchange between the participating actors and viewers becomes a decisive and relevant aspect.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2011:
PhD in Arts, Universidade de São Paulo (2008).
Works as Professor at the Instituto de Artes, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro and at
Faculdade Santa Marcelina (São Paulo).
Selected Solo Exhibitions and Projects:
– “sistema-cinema, Centro Cultural São Paulo (ccsp), São Paulo, Brazil.
– “membranosa-entre” Galeria Luciana Brito, São Paulo, Brazil.
– “re-projecting”, Casco, Utrecht, Netherlands.
– “la société du spectacle”, Kunstraum lakeside, Klagenfurt, Austria.
– “psiu-ei-oi-olá-não”, A Gentil Carioca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Selected Group Exhibitions:
– “Välparaíso inTERvenciones”, Valparaíso, Chile,
– “5 x 5 Castelló Premi Internacional d’Art Contemporani”, Espai d’art contemporani de Castelló, Spain.
– 7ª Bienal do Mercosul
– 7th Shanghai Biennale
– “documenta 12”, Kassel, Germany.
– “Imagine Action”, Lisson Gallery, London, UK.
Co-curated “On Difference #2” (Kunstverein Stuttgart) and “pogovarjanja/conversations/conversas” (with Bojana Piskur, Skuc Gallery, Ljubljana), both in 2006.
– Author of “Além da pureza visual”, Zouk, 2007.
– Contributed to “Art after conceptual art”, Ed.Alexander Alberro and Sabeth Buchmann, Generali Foundation, MIT Press, 2006.
- Watch 'Interview Program I', with Ricardo Basbaum and Robert Barry
- Video Program XIV presents series by Ricardo Basbaum
- Ricardo Basbaum exhibits his works at gb agency as part of "Hospitality"
- Last month to see "(con)vivências" with Jonathan de Andrade, Ricardo Basbaum, and more
- Frieze NY 2019: today’s relevant artists and new commissions
- “Ver as vozes dos artistas” looks for the "voice of art" today
- "We are here" analyses how contemporary art changed the way we see the world
- Art Basel reaches its 48th edition
- Ricardo Basbaum revisits his 80s and 90s work in "Corte-Contaminação-Contato"
- Pedro Wirz and Ricardo Basbaum participate in "Camaleónica", in Coimbra