(this page was last updated in July 2019)
Boston, USA, 1987.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
Represented by Galeria Jaqueline Martins
PIPA 2014, 2016 and 2019 nominee.
Daniel de Paula was born in 1987 in Boston, USA. Son of Brazilian immigrants in the country, he moved to Brazil at a young where he currently lives and works between São Paulo and Itapevi.
The recent propositions by Daniel de Paula seek to activate and exhaust a multitude of agents and relations in a given spatial context. His work seems invested with vitality, a silent forcefulness derived from qualities subtracted off the very own behavior and history of ordinary objects, places, and actions in an urban landscape. The operations employed by the artist suggest an indivisible bond between the objects presented and the actions that give them existence, presence, and significance. Through strategies such as amplified negotiations with and within city structures, displacement of quotidian objects, appropriation of public infrastructure, and interaction with constitutive agents of the exhibition space and its surrounding landscape, his pieces, installations, and interventions attempt to disarticulate, reconstruct and resignify rigid and conditioned spatial and conceptual systems and configurations. His recent maneuvers have intersected the disciplines of art, architecture, and geography by means of juxtaposing of objects and actions in both public and private spheres.
Daniel de Paula was awarded the following scholarships: Independent Programme of the São Paulo School (2014), Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris (2013) and Casa Tomada, São Paulo (2012). He won the acquisition award at the Programa de Exposições do Centro Cultural São Paulo (2011), awarded at the exhibition EDP at the Artes at Institute Tomie Ohtake curated by Agnaldo Farias, São Paulo (2010).
– “A parte que não te pertence”, Maisterravalbuena Gallery, Madrid, Spain
– “Onsite”, Temporary Arts Project [TAP], Southend-on-Sea, UK
– “Open Cube”, White Cube Gallery; London, UK
– “Da próxima vez eu fazia tudo diferente”, Pivô, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Processos Públicos”, Paco das Artes, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Programa de Exposições”, Centro Cultural São Paulo [CCSP], São Paulo, Brazil
– “Prêmio EDP nas Artes”, Institute Tomie Ohtake, São Paulo, Brazil
Residencies, Scholarships & Awards
– Scholarship at the Programa Independente da Escola São Paulo [PIESP] directed by Adriano Pedrosa, São Paulo, Brazil
– Resident at the Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, France
– Resident at Casa Tomada, São Paulo
– Acquisition award at the Programa de Exposições do Centro Cultural São Paulo [CCSP], São Paulo, Brazil
– Awarded at the exhibition EDP at the Artes no Institute Tomie Ohtake curated by Agnaldo Farias, São Paulo, Brazil
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2014:
- Daniel de Paula participates in the 16th Lyon Biennale: "manifesto of fragility"
- "16th Lyon Biennale: manifesto of fragility" features Daniel de Paula, Valeska Soares, and others
- Daniel de Paula is selected to the 16th Lyon Biennale
- "Veridical shadows, or the unfoldings of a deceptive physicality", by Daniel de Paula
- Video Program, with Daniel de Paula
- Daniel de Paula participates in "Repose"
- Daniel de Paula's first solo show in the Netherlands
- MEET THE 76 PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINATED ARTISTS
- PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINEES | 7TH BULLETIN
- In Italy, 'Knife in the flesh' brings up political complexity from Brazil