(this page was last updated in July 2016)
Recife, Brazil, 1983.
Lives and works in Recife, Brazil.
PIPA 2015 Nominee.
Gabriel Mascaro was born in Recife, Brazil, in 1983, where he still resides and works. He researches the negotiation of power in its various manifestations.
Spanning cinema and the visual arts, his work has been shown at the Guggenheim, New York, USA; the Museum of Contemporary Art in Barcelona, Spain; MOMA Documentary Fortnight, New York, USA; 32nd Panorama of Brazilian Art – MAM SP, Videobrasil, Athens and the São Paulo Biennale, all in São Paulo, Brazil. Mascaro has been at important film festivals including Locarno, San Sebastian, IDFA, BFI London, IFFR – Rotterdam, CPH: DOX, Oberhausen, Clermont Ferrand, BAFICI, Miami and Indielisboa. He was highlighted in the magazines Screen International (UK), Sight & Sound (UK), indieWIRE (USA), Variety (USA) and Cahiers du Cinema (FRA). Mascaro was in the Artist Residency Program Videobrasil / Videoformes – Clermont Ferrand (FRA) and was awarded a residency at the Wexner Center for the Arts – Ohio (USA).
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2015:
“Housemaids”, 2012, documentary. Duration: 2’15”
- Pernambuco as seen by six Brazilian artists from Recife
- FUSO videoart festival discusses past and present between Europe and the Americas
- On view | "How to (live with) things that don’t exist", itinerant circuit of the 31st São Paulo Biennial
- Itinerant circuit of the 31st São Paulo Biennial arrives in Portugal next week
- Gabriel Mascaro mixes cinema and visual arts in his research about body and power
- PIPA 2015 Participating Artists | Final list
- Confirmed artists on the sixth edition of PIPA Prize | Updates everyday
- Check who are the artists already confirmed for PIPA 2015
- PIPA 2015 nominees | Full list
- PIPA 2015 Nominated Artists | Read the 14 names announced today