(this page was last updated in February 2019)
Belém, Brazil, 1956.
Lives and works in Belém, Brazil.
Represented by Galeria Leme.
PIPA 2015 Nominee.
PIPA 2010 and 2019 Nominating Committee Member.
Luiz Braga started in photography at the age of eleven. Up until 1981, he photographed mainly in black and white. After this phase, he discovered the vibrant colors of the vernacular Amazonian landscape and, by invitation of the National Arts Foundation, he travelled throughout the region and improved his photographic repertoire. In 1987, he returns to black and white from his early days, and depicts the Amazon’s caboclo and his surroundings, consequently being awarded with the Prize Marc Ferrez.
His enchantment by the colors and the pictorial possibilities extracted from the confrontation between natural light and the multiple sources of light from the boats, parks, and popular bars resulted in the series Anos Luz, awarded with the “Leopold Godowsky Color Photography Award” in 1991.
His unique approach steers away from the stereotypical views on the Amazon. And the mastery of color turned him into a reference in contemporary Brazilian photography. In 2009, he was one of the Brazilian representatives at the 53rd Venice Biennale.
1975 – 1983
-Architecture, Universidade Federal do Pará, Belém, Brazil.
– “Sideral”, Galeria Leme, São Paulo, Brazil
– MAR-Museu de Arte do Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Prêmio Diário Contemporâneo de Fotografia”, Museu Casa das 11 Janelas, Belém, Brazil
– “Histórias da Infância”, MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo Assis Chateaubriand, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Ofício Luminoso”, SESC Santo André, São Paulo, Brazil
– “XVI Prêmio Arte Na Escola Cidadã”, Sesc Consolação. São Paulo, Brazil
– “Tributo À Última Lâmpada”, Arte Pará 2015, Museu Histórico do Estado do Pará, Belém, Brasil
– “Gestos, Relatos, Escritas e Autoficções”, curated by Mariano Klautau Filho, CâmeraSete – Casa da Fotografia, Belo Horizonte; 5º Festival De Fotografia De Tiradentes, Centro Cultural Yves Alves, Tiradentes, Minas Gerais, Brazil
– “Tech 4 Change”, Vestfossen Kunstlaboratorium, Vestfossen, Norway
– “Horizonte Generoso – uma experiência no Pará”, Luciana Caravello Arte Contemporânea, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, curated by Bernardo Mosqueira
– “Encruzilhada”, EAV Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Curated by Bernardo Mosqueira
– “A Arte da Lembrança – a Saudade na Fotografia Brasileira”, Itaú Cultural, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Pororoca”, MAR, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Retumbante Natureza Humanizada”, Sesc Pinheiros, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Biennial MASP/Pirelli de Fotografia”, MASP, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Amazônia Ciclos de Modernidade”, CCBB, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “O Elogio da Vertigem”, Maison Européene de la Photographie, Paris, France
– “Nightvisions”, Galeria Leme, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Percurso do Olhar”, Museu Casa das 11 Janelas, Belém, Brazil
– 53rd Biennial of Venice, Italy
– “À Procura de um olhar”, Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo, Brazil
– “Panorama da Arte Brasileira”, Museum of Modern Art (MAM SP), São Paulo, Brazil
– Photoquai, Paris, France
– Retratos Amazônicos, Museum of Modern Art (MAM SP), São Paulo, Brazil
– Arraial da Luz, Belém, Brazil
– Museum of Modern Art (MAM SP), São Paulo, Brazil
– Museum of Modern Art (MAM RJ), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Museu Casa das 11 Janelas, Belém, Brazil
– Museum of Art of Rio (MAR), Brazil
– Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo, Brazil
– Museum of Modern Art of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
– Museu de Arte Contemporânea da USP, São Paulo, Brazil
– Coleção Pirelli/ Masp de Fotografia, São Paulo, Brazil
– Centre Culturel Les Chiroux, Belgium
– Perez Art Museum, Miami, USA
- Jonathas de Andrade and Luiz Braga participate in Guangzhou Image Triennial 2021
- Meet the members of the PIPA 2019 Nominating Committee
- MAC USP presents over a hundred works from its collection
- Member of the Nominating Committee in PIPA Prize's first edition, Luiz Braga takes part in the prize as a nominated artist
- Vivian Caccuri presents a silent walk as a part of "Encruzilhada"
- Group show "Encruzilhada" brings together 115 works by 74 artists
- PIPA 2015 Participating Artists | Final list
- PIPA 2015 nominees | Full list
- PIPA 2015 Nominees | 10th bulletin
- Last days | Situações Brasília 2014 Prize awards 25 artists