(this page was last updated in July 2016)
Brasília, Brazil, 1978.
Lives and works in Brasília, Brazil.
PIPA 2014 nominee.
Yana Tamayo is PhD student on Poetics in Contemporary Visual Arts Programme at Universidade de Brasilia. Master degree of Fine Arts at the same institution and Programme of Post-graduation at Universidade de Brasilia (2009). Master on Teoría y Práctica en Artes Plásticas Contemporáneas at Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain (2006). Undergraduate degree in Arts at Escola de Belas Artes da Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (2003), Belo Horizonte. Works with photography, video and drawing, has been presenting regular exhibitions since 2003. Since 2012 has been a part of Entrebloco group and has been working on specific curatorial projects since 2013.
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2014.
“A educação pela indisciplina”, 2012. Duration: 4’53’’
Entrebloco (Cecília Bona, Lina Frazão, Ricardo Theodoro and Yana Tamayo)
Notes on the work
A scale comprehension is always on demand, we do not have the privilege of the same point of view all the time. It’s constant mutation meets our need of constant adaptation. Scale is not a fixed value, but always a relation. The city is seen from the human scale and always in constant comparison with other magnitudes.
From the huge to the smallest our eyes allow us to see. With the leftover materials arising from construction and daily consumption I try to find another imagination of shapes, divergent from what already exists. I stick to the doubles in the city, comparing shapes, watching moving blocks, taking pictures of the constant changes. But these things go on as part of the landscape, this does not change.
The universe of image composition, as in a dance, ends up in photographic compositions, especially, the traditional choreography, that refers on body orientated conduction, rhythm and the music beat as time stamping. I propose essays. An essay for object ballet – meteorites and Untitled (provisional revolutions), 2014, go around the constant city transformation proposing, in a certain way, a poetic attempt at reordering its ruins.
– Project “Desvio de Série (para olhar a cidade)”. Exhibition of the works developed during one year, recipient of the Scholarship to Stimulate Artistic Creation of Funarte. At Galeria CAL, Brasília, Brazil
– Yana Tamayo – Selected for the Exhibition Program of 2006 of the Galeria CAL, Brasilia, Brazil
Major Collective Exhibitions
– “Abre Alas 2014”, Galeria A Gentil Carioca, curated by Marta Mestre and Armando Mattos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Triangulações”, Exhibiting with Brasília, Salvador and Recife artists, curated by Alejandra Muñoz, Marília Panitz and Cristiana Tejo, Museu Nacional da República, Brasilia, ; Museu de Arte Moderna Aloísio Magalhães-MAMAM, Recife, and Galeria Paulo Darzé, Salvador, Brazil
– “Nossa exposição de desenhos”, curated by Polyanna Morgana, Galeria CAL, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Rotas de Fuga”, curated by Marília Panitz, special project organized at Hill House Store, Brasília, Brazil
– Prêmio de Arte Contemporânea do Distrito Federal / “Situações Brasília”, work selected: video “Education for indiscipline” from the group Entrebloco (Cecilia Bona, Lina Frazao, Ricardo Theodoro, and Yana Tamayo), selection committee composed by Evandro Salles, Cristiana Tejo, and Wagner Barja, Museu Nacional da República, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Gambiarra”, curated by Matias Monteiro and Cecilia Mori, outcome of Production and Artistic Achievement, discipline given by Gê Orthof at PPG-Art at Universidade de Brasilia. Espaço Piloto Gallery, UnB, Brasília, Brazil
– “Mirada Desobediente: do pueril ao infantil”, curated by Matias Monteiro and produced by Luciana Paiva. Espaço Cultural 508, Galeria Parangolé, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Aos Ventos que Virão…Brasília (1960-2010)” – Retrospective of 50 years of visual arts in Brasília, curated by Fernando Cocchiarale and Karla Osório Netto, Espaço Cultural Contemporâneo, ECCO, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Diversidade e Afinidades: Universo X Reverso”, collection of the Espaço Cultural Contemporâneo, ECCO, curated by Grace de Freitas and Karla Osório Netto, Brasília, Brazil
– “Brasília: Síntese das Artes”, curated by Denise Mattar, Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, CCBB, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Superfrágil”, produced by the Blog Dando Nome aos Bois. The curators selected drawings from the artists interviewed by the blog during the one year period, Galeria Objeto Encontrado, Brasilia, Brazil
– “Trilhas do Desejo”, Rumos Visuais of Instituto Itaú Cultural, Rio de Janeiro, Paço Imperial, Brazil
– “Mirantes”, Rumos Visuais of Instituto Itaú Cultural, curated by Alexandre Serqueira, Galeria de Arte Juvenal Antunes, Fundação de Cultura e Comunicação Elias Mansour, Rio Branco, Brazil
– “Um Lugar a Partir Daqui”, Rumos Visuais of Instituto Itaú Cultural, curated by Paulo Reis, BrasiliaBrazil
– “Trilhas do Desejo”, Rumos Visuais of Instituto Itaú Cultural, Instituto Itaú Cultural, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Utopia da Modernidade: de Brasília à Tropicália”, curated by Ana Queiroz, Museu Nacional da República, Brasília, Brazil
– “Brasília: Projetos e Fragmentos”, curated by Angélica Madeira, Espaço Cultural Contemporâneo, ECCO, Brasília, Brazil
– “Situações Brasília – Mostra Caixa Arte Contemporânea Brasília 2005”, curated by Evandro Salles, Marília Panitz and Elder Rocha, Centro Cultural da Caixa, Caixa Econômica Federal.Brasilia, Brazil
- Watch this week's video interviews
- Video-interview | Yana Tamayo
- PIPA 2014 | All artists pages now created and updated
- PIPA 2014 | Participating Artists
- PIPA 2014 Nominees | 2nd Bulletin