(this page was last updated in June 2019)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1984.
Lives and works in São Paulo, Brazil.
PIPA 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 nominee.
Artist and member of the Ueinzz Theatre Company. Attended courses at the School of Visual Arts of Parque Lage, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil between 1998 and 2005. Completed his Master’s Degree in History at PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 2010. Between 2006 and 2011, he taught History of Art at the School of Visual Arts of Parque Lage. He currently teaches at the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo (MAM-SP) and at Instituto Tomie Ohtake, São Paulo, Brazil. In 2010, he worked as a film, performances and debates curator of ‘Terreiros” during the 29th São Paulo Biennial. In 2011 he was the curator, together with Fernando Cocchiarale, of the exhibition “Cavalos de Tróia”, part of the “Caos e Efeito” show at Itaú Cultural. Since 2011, França has been working with drawings, collages, films and installations.
Solo and group exhibitions include: “Arte Atual Festival” (Tomie Ohtake Institute, 2015), “Rumos Itaú Cultural” (2015), “Strip” (Fredric Snitzer Gallery, 2015), “Capital/Radical” (Galeria Central, 2014), “Objeto da Natureza” (Paço das Artes, 2014), “Boletim” (Galeria Milan, 2013), “É preciso confrontar as imagens vagas com gestos claros” (Oficina Oswald de Andrade, 2012), “Homeroadmovie” (CCSP, 2012). The artist has collaborated since 2011 with the Ueinzz Theatre Company in the development of the plays “Cais de Ovelhas” and “Gravidade Zero”, in addition to other projects. The performance experiences created in the context of the Company have inspired many of his recent works.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2019:
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2017:
Video produced by Matrioska Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2016:
- Check out new video interviews and updated pages of artists nominated for the tenth edition
- MEET THE PARTICIPATING ARTISTS IN THE 2019 PIPA PRIZE
- MEET THE 76 PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINATED ARTISTS
- PIPA PRIZE 2019 NOMINEES | 15TH BULLETIN
- More updates on the PIPA Prize 2018 nominees' pages
- Read “Beauty and the beast and the desire in the world”, critical text by Leda Catunda
- Meet the 78 nominees of PIPA Prize 2018
- PIPA Prize 2018 Nominees | 9th Bulletin
- The intersections between the works of four artists in "Arthur, Janina, Marco e Pedro"
- See the pages of eight artists nominated for PIPA Prize 2017