(this page was last updated in August 2022)
Goiania, Brazil, 1986
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2020 and 2022 nominee
Working with art as a path and intuitive experiences, fiction, territory and nature, her practice circulates between photography and video, but also installations and participatory works.
Her first solo exhibition takes place in November 2021 at the Museum of Modern Art in Rio de Janeiro, MAM. Sallisa’s work was featured in the SESC Triennial in Sorocaba (2021), in the exhibition Feminist Stories: Artists after 2000 at the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo (MASP) (2019), VAIVEM, at Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro (CCBB) (2019), at Bienal do Barro, Caruaru (2019), Strategies of the Feminine, Farol Santander, Porto Alegre (2019), Pampulha Museum of Art, Belo Horizonte (2019) and Dja Guata Porã, Rio de Janeiro Museum of Art (MAR) (2017). Nominated for the 2020 PIPA Award.
– Negative Entropies. Residency and sound installation at Théâtre de I’Usine – Geneva, with Jonas Van Holanda.
– Se ao invés de sair caminhando eu sair nadando. Publication at Arts Everywhere – Canada, by the group Gesturing Towards Decolonial Futures.
– Caminho. Video 2’25”. Virtual exhibition at Paisagens, Terra, Céu Luz.
– “Work: nature will avenge”. Visual narrative for virtual exhibition of the project “A Perfect Storm” by the diffrakt collective. Germany, Berlin.
– “Work: America.” Solo exhibition at Museu de Arte Moderno do Rio de Janeiro. Installation in bio-construction, series of ceramic pots, series of drawings in nankeen, prints on fabric. 2021- 2022.
– “Work: Resistance”. Group exhibition Ka’a body: Cosmovision of the rainsforest. Paradise Row Projects Gallery. England, London.
– “Work: made plant”. 4 min video for Kino Beat Festival. Collective exhibition.
– “Work: labyrinth”. (public installation in partnership with colectivo sucata quântica) Frestas Trienal de Artes, Sorocaba – São Paulo. Collective Exhibit.
– Work: Resistance”. Reconecte Project – collage of lambes at Favela do Gato Square for Virada Cultural de São Paulo – 55SP.
– Work: Tupilândia”. 23 Photographs 25X25. Images that don’t conform at Museu de Arte do Rio, MAR. Collective Exhibition.
– Work: That the Storie doesn’t show”. Digital Immersions – virtual collective exhibition.
– Work: “Work: Identity is fiction”. Acrylic installation and digital picture frame. Disappearing tactics at Paço das Artes. Collective exhibition. São Paulo. Brazil
– “Work: Tupilândia”. 23 digital photographs for the @rua project. Virtual collective exhibition.
2020 – 2021
– “project: passing through the sieve”. Research fellow at the Museum of Modern Art of Rio de Janeiro in partnership with CAPPACETE. August 2020 to February 2021.
– Publication of the photographic narrative “knowing how to be” for Revista Concreta (#16). Spain.
– “Work: Path”. Video 2’25”. Casa Carioca exhibition, of the Rio Museum of Art, MAR. Group exhibition.
– Work: Roots”. Participative work.at the same exhibition.
– Work: Identity is fiction”. Small Formats Art Salon of Britânia – Goiás Group exhibition.
– “Work: Resistance Series”. large scale lambes distributed by 9 points of the city of São Paulo. Voices against Racism, project of the Municipal Secretary of Culture and Municipal Secretary of Human Rights and Citizenship and Coordinator of Promotion of Racial Equality.
– “Work: Old Memory”. Online photographic series commissioned by the Invitation Program of the Moreira Salles Institute. Sallisa Rosa, Renata Tupinambá, Edgar Xacriabá.
– “Obra: Pisa Devagar”. Video made in the April 2020 quarantine for online exhibition titled “Viral Portraits” at Moderna galerija in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
– “Work: Resistance Series.” “Against, Again: Art Under Attack in Brazil”. Anya and Andrew Shiva Gallery. New York – United States. Group exhibition.
– Work: Ivanilde Guarani”. Feminisme & Fotojournalistiek in Latijns-Amerika. Amsab-Instituut voor Sociale Geschiedenis – Belgium. Group exhibition.
– “Work: Resistance Series”. Collection in transformation. Masp. São Paulo [MASP Collection].
2019 – 2020
– “Work: #net. Vai-Vém exhibition”. Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil. Group exhibition. Circulated through São Paulo, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte. Group exhibition.
– Work: Roots. Biennial of Clay”. Caruaru – PE. Group exhibition.
– “Work: Identity is fiction. Strategies of the Feminine”. Group exhibition. Santander Lighthouse, Porto Alegre – RS. Group exhibition.
– Work: Umuarama. Pampulha Museum of Art / Pampulha Grant”. Group exhibition. Belo Horizonte – MG. Group exhibition.
– Work: “Resistance Series. Feminist Stories”. Museum of Art of São Paulo, Masp. Group exhibition. São Paulo – SP. Group exhibition. [MASP Collection].
– “Publication of the series Resistance” in the magazine Revestrés #43. Piauí – Brazil.
– “Work: Large scale death plan”. Agro is not Pop. Hélio Oiticica Municipal Art Center. Rio de Janeiro – RJ Group exhibition with Denilson Baniwa.
– Work: Resistance Series”. Manjar Re-Conhecimento. Solar dos Abacaxis. Rio de Janeiro. Group exhibition.
– “Work: Resistance Series”. ReAntropofagia – contemporary indigenous artists. Cultural Center of the Universidade Federal Fluminense. Group exhibition. Rio de Janeiro.
– “Projection of photographs from the Resistance Series for Encuentro Debate #1: Resisting Bolsonaro. Debate on human, environmental and labor rights in Brazil.” organized by Encuentro Belgian Latin America Network, in Brussels – Belgium.
– “Work: Ivanilde Guarani.” Feminisme & Fotojournalistiek in Latijns-Amerika. Mundana Cultural Center – Antwerp – Belgium. Group exhibition.
– “Work: Oca do Futuro”. Dja Guata Porã: Indigenous Rio de Janeiro at the Rio Museum of Art. MAR. Group exhibition. Rio de Janeiro.
Talks and workshops
– ELÃ, Escola Livre de Artes do Galpão Bela Maré – educator on the eixo materialidades, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– SP Terra Indígena na Casa do Povo em São Paulo – Talk on decolonization and image and Posters Workshop at Parquinho Gráfico, São Paulo, Brazil
– Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, CCBB – Múltiplo Ancestral – Talk on decolonization and image and Posters Workshop, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Centro de Referência da Juventude de Belo Horizonte, CRJ – Talk on decolonization and image and Posters Workshop, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– Galeria Ateliê Oriente – Talk on photography and decolonization, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Museu de Arte do Rio – Talk on indigenous people in the city, with Denilson Baniwa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Caixa Cultural do Rio de Janeiro – cinema festival Corpos da Terra – Talk on indigenous women, with Sandra Benites and Socorro Borges, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Check out the list of PIPA 2022's participating artists!
- Meet the 66 nominees of PIPA Prize 2022
- MEET THE 72 NOMINEES FOR PIPA PRIZE 2020