(this page was last updated in February 2024)
Santarém, Brazil, 1991
Lives and works in Manaus, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee
PIPA 2022 Awarded Artist
Member of the PIPA Prize Nominating Committee 2023
Works in the PIPA Institute Collection
She is a biologist with a Master’s degree in Amazonian Ecology and works as a visual artist and art educator in traditional communities. She lives in an industrial territory in the middle of the forest, where she transforms herself to live a Tree that Walks, always created with organic elements. She has participated in more than 50 group exhibitions, both nationally and internationally, and has presented 5 solo exhibitions, including her debut at the Museum of Modern Art in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the Currier Museum of Art (USA). She was featured in the 34th São Paulo Biennial, the Manifesta! Biennial (Kosovo), the 13th São Paulo Architecture Biennial and the 1st Amazon Biennial, as well as winning the EDP Prize in the Arts – Tomie Ohtake Institute, the PIPA Prize 2022, the YES to Racial Equality Prize 2023 and the FOCO Arte Rio Prize 2023. Uýra uses the body as a support to narrate stories of different natures via photoperformance, performance and installations. She is interested in living systems and their violations, and from the perspective of diversity, dissidence, functioning and adaptation, she (re)tells natural stories, enchantments and diasporas that exist in the forest-city landscape. Her works are included in national collections, those of collectors and institutions such as the Pinacoteca de São Paulo, the PIPA Institute, and international collections such as the Castello de Rivoli (Italy), the Institute for Studies on Latin American Art of New York (ISLAA), the Currier Museum of Art and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (USA).
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
- "The Living Forest": visit UÝRA's first solo show in the US
- Check out the artworks recently acquired by the PIPA Institute
- Remember the conversations between Luiz Camillo Osorio and the four Awarded Artists
- The PIPA Prize 2022 catalogue is available for download!
- The PIPA exhibitions finish on Saturday: this edition's catalogue is available at Paço Imperial!
- Awarded artists takeover 2022: with UÝRA
- Watch the videos of the guided visit to the PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists and PIPA Institute exhibitions
- Watch the video of the "PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists" exhibition's setting with interviews with the artists!
- Announcement of awardees
- Discover new pages and video interviews of PIPA 2022 participating artists