(this page was last updated in November 2022)
Santarém, Brazil, 1991
Lives and works in Manaus, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee
PIPA 2022 Selected Artist
Emerson, 30, is indigenous and two spirits (trans). Graduated in Biology, with a Masters Degree in Ecology, she works as a visual artist, art educator and researcher. Lives in Manaus (AM), industrial territory in the middle of the Forest, where she transforms herself to become Uýra, a Walking Tree. Having her body as medium, she tells stories from different Natures through photo performance. From the City-Forest landscape, she’s interested in alive systems and its violations, and also in memory and indigenous diasporas. She was part of the Arte Pará Salon (2019), the exhibition for the EDP das Artes Awards, Tomie Ohtake (2020), 34a Bienal de São Paulo (2021), and exhibitions at institutions from Austria, Italy, San Francisco, Netherlands, France and in 2022 will take part at Manisfesta! (nomade biennial from Europe), and will present two solo shows, at Museu de Arte do Rio – MAR and Museu de Arte Moderna – MAM Rio.
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
- The PIPA Prize 2022 catalogue is available for download!
- The PIPA exhibitions finish on Saturday: this edition's catalogue is available at Paço Imperial!
- Awarded artists takeover 2022: with UÝRA
- Watch the videos of the guided visit to the PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists and PIPA Institute exhibitions
- Watch the video of the "PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists" exhibition's setting with interviews with the artists!
- Announcement of awardees
- Discover new pages and video interviews of PIPA 2022 participating artists