(this page was last updated in September 2023)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1996
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee
PIPA 2022 Selected Artist
Member of the PIPA Prize Nominating Committee 2023
Works in the PIPA Institute Collection
Cribb graduated from the Superior School of Industrial Design at UERJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Daughter of a Haitian father and a Brazilian mother, the artist uses the digital environment as a means to express her investigations and reflections crossed by her subconscious, while investigating social behavior in the face of the development of new visual information technologies in contemporary society. The transposition of her thoughts through the immateriality present in the digital format are central points in the works developed by the artist in recent years.
Beyond being awarded in the 2022 edition of PIPA Prize, the artist participated in the Bangkok Art Biennale 2022 – Virtual Venue with a commissioned digital work. In 2023, Cribb will present a new short film/video installation at the 22nd SESC Videobrasil Biennial. Works by the artist were acquired and are part of the permanent collection of the Denver Art Museum. Recent exhibitions include: DOS BRASIS (São Paulo, Brasil); CHAOS:CALM and BETWEEN BAB (Bangkok Art Biennale, 2022); Who Tells a Tale Adds a Tail (Denver Art Museum, 2022); Perfect Body (Esc Medien Kunst Labor, Graz, Austria); The Silence of Tired Tongues (Framer Framed, Amsterdam, 2022); Hotel Blue (Vellum LA, Los Angeles, 2022); Oh I Love Brazilian Women (Apexart, New York, 2022); Futuração (Galeria Aymoré, Rio de Janeiro, 2021); Disembodied Behaviors (Bitforms gallery, New York, 2020); The Brazil that I Want (Centre d’Art Contemporain Genève, online, 2020); Beginning of Century (Jaqueline Martins Gallery, São Paulo, 2019).
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
“@ILUSÃO”, 2020. Duration: 6’47”
“PROMPT DE COMANDO”, 2019. Duration: 10’47”
“@ilusão online installation”, 2020, interactive online installation, CGI objects and animation, sound, video. Disembodied Behaviors, Bitforms Gallery x Newartcity, Online, USA, 2020. See the work here.
“Frenesi Estático”, 2020, online installation, CGI animation, sound, infinity duration, BANALBANAL.COM, online, 2020. See the work here.
“W97M/MELISSA VIRUS”, 2020, online installation, CGI images, digital collage, sound, video, AINDAMTNADA.COM, online, 2020. See the work here.
- “A year of viewing art virtually: the best and worst AR and VR work created during the pandemic”, The Artnewspaper
- “Disembodied Behaviors: an ultra-real virtual art show that sears the mind-haze of 2020’s unending March back to a state of clarity”, to The Artnewspaper
- “Art in quarantine # 13 – High-energy scenes in digital worlds”, by Teresa Hantke to gallerytalk.net
- “Conheça a arte de Vitória Cribb, que exibe trabalho na Times Square”, by Thalita Peres to Marie Claire Brasil (portuguese)
- “Conheça quatro artistas que produzem para o ambiente digital”, by Camila Yunes, to Vogue Brasil (portuguese)
– Superior School of Industrial Design (ESDI), State University of Rio de Janeiro (UERJ), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Hotel Blue – A home for the virtual being of tomorrow”, Vellum LA / SVStudios LA – Los Angeles, USA
– “The Silence of Tired Tongues”, Framer Framed, Amsterdam, Netherlands
– “Que Prosiga”, Chashama, New York, USA
– “Semana sim, semana não: paisagens, corpos e cotidianos entre um século”, Casa Zalszupin, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Oh I Love Brazilian Women”, Apexart, New York, USA
– “Segue em Anexo”, Museu Nacional da República, Brasília, Brazil
– “Creeper’s Luncheon”, Mock Jungle, Bologna, Italy
– “SUPER-NATURAL, Until the End”, MASSIMO Space, Milan, Italy
– “SUPER-NATURAL, OLHÃO”, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Skin Garden – Reconsider Flesh”, Outputfield, online at Newart.city platform
– “_origins”, Blackbeyond, online at Newart.city platform
– “Futuração”, Galeria Aymoré, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “O BRASIL QUE EU QUERO”, 5th Floor, Centre d’Art Contemporain Genève, Genebra, Switzerland
– “Disembodied Behaviors”, Bitforms Gallery, New York, USA
– “Disembodied Behaviors’, online at Newart.city platform
– “ZAZCorner x LightboxLive”, ZAZ10ts Gallery, Times Square, Broadway, New York, USA
– “Epicentre”, The Wrong Bienalle, Spain
– “What Do We Do Now”, The Wrong Bienalle, Casino Notabile, Rabat, Malta
– “What Do We Do Now”, The Wrong Bienalle, Online
– “Começo de Século”, Galeria Jaqueline Martins, São Paulo, Brazil
– “In.corpo.rar”, Centro de Artes UFF, Niterói, Brazil
– “Hotel Blue”, SXSW, Austin, Texas, USA
– “Desver”, Festival de Cinema Universitário do Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
– “Fastline”, ArtNight Festival London, London, United Kingdom
– “Eneagrama”, Festival de Cine Experimental, Casa Colectiva Revolución, Córdoba, Argentina
– “Transe”, with “OLHÃO”, organizado por Fortes Daloia Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil (online)
– “Frenesi Estático”, with “banalbanal.org”, São Paulo, Brazil (online)
– “W97M MELISSA VIRUS”, with “AINDAMTNADA”, online installation, aindamtnada.com
– Collection ARTEMÍDIAMUSEU, Nacional Museum of Republic, Brasília, Brazil
– Illustration for article on Transition Magazine, issue 129, Hutchins Center at Harvard University, USA
- The PIPA Institute announces a conversation with Luana Vitra, Vitória Cribb and Vivian Caccuri on September 12 at Paço Imperial
- Check out the artworks recently acquired by the PIPA Institute
- Remember the conversations between Luiz Camillo Osorio and the four Awarded Artists
- The PIPA Prize 2022 catalogue is available for download!
- The PIPA exhibitions finish on Saturday: this edition's catalogue is available at Paço Imperial!
- Watch the videos of the guided visit to the PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists and PIPA Institute exhibitions
- Watch the video of the "PIPA 2022 Awarded Artists" exhibition's setting with interviews with the artists!
- Last weeks to visit "The Silence of Tired Tongues": group show featuring thirteen emerging artists born in Brazil
- Announcement of awardees
- Discover new pages and video interviews of PIPA 2022 participating artists