(this page was last updated in August 2022)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1996
Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PIPA Prize 2022 nominee
Cribb graduated from the Superior School of Industrial Design at UERJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Daughter of a Haitian father and a Brazilian mother, she has been creating in recent years digital and visual narratives that permeate techniques such as creation of 3D avatars, filters in augmented reality and immersive environments, using the digital environment as a means to explain her investigations and current issues covered by her subconscious. Vitória investigates the behaviours and developments of new visual/social technologies and transposes its thinking through the immateriality present in the digital.
In 2021, “@ilusion”, a film and digital installation by the artist, was mentioned and gained prominence in reviews such as XR panel from The Art Newspaper.
Among the exhibitions, the following stand out: The Silence of Tired Tongues (Framer Framed, Amsterdam, 2022); Oh I Love Brazilian Women (Apexart, New York, 2022); Segue em Anexo (National Museum of Republic, Brasília, 2022); Futuração (Galeria Aymoré, Rio de Janeiro, 2021); Disembodied Behaviors (Bitforms gallery, New York and Newart city Platform, online, 2020), The Brazil That I Want (Centre d’Art Contemporain Genève, online, 2020), Beginning of Century (Jaqueline Martins Gallery, São Paulo, 2019).
Video produced by Do Rio Filmes exclusively for PIPA 2022:
“@ILUSÃO”, 2020. Duration: 6’47”
“PROMPT DE COMANDO”, 2019. Duration: 10’47”
“@ilusão online installation”, 2020, interactive online installation, CGI objects and animation, sound, video. Disembodied Behaviors, Bitforms Gallery x Newartcity, Online, USA, 2020. See the work here.
“Frenesi Estático”, 2020, online installation, CGI animation, sound, infinity duration, BANALBANAL.COM, online, 2020. See the work here.
“W97M/MELISSA VIRUS”, 2020, online installation, CGI images, digital collage, sound, video, AINDAMTNADA.COM, online, 2020. See the work here.
- “A year of viewing art virtually: the best and worst AR and VR work created during the pandemic”, The Artnewspaper
- “Disembodied Behaviors: an ultra-real virtual art show that sears the mind-haze of 2020’s unending March back to a state of clarity”, to The Artnewspaper
- “Art in quarantine # 13 – High-energy scenes in digital worlds”, by Teresa Hantke to gallerytalk.net
- “Conheça a arte de Vitória Cribb, que exibe trabalho na Times Square”, by Thalita Peres to Marie Claire Brasil (portuguese)
- “Conheça quatro artistas que produzem para o ambiente digital”, by Camila Yunes, to Vogue Brasil (portuguese)
– Superior School of Industrial Design (ESDI), State University of Rio de Janeiro (UERJ), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “Hotel Blue – A home for the virtual being of tomorrow”, Vellum LA / SVStudios LA – Los Angeles, USA
– “The Silence of Tired Tongues”, Framer Framed, Amsterdam, Netherlands
– “Que Prosiga”, Chashama, New York, USA
– “Semana sim, semana não: paisagens, corpos e cotidianos entre um século”, Casa Zalszupin, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Oh I Love Brazilian Women”, Apexart, New York, USA
– “Segue em Anexo”, Museu Nacional da República, Brasília, Brazil
– “Creeper’s Luncheon”, Mock Jungle, Bologna, Italy
– “SUPER-NATURAL, Until the End”, MASSIMO Space, Milan, Italy
– “SUPER-NATURAL, OLHÃO”, São Paulo, Brazil
– “Skin Garden – Reconsider Flesh”, Outputfield, online at Newart.city platform
– “_origins”, Blackbeyond, online at Newart.city platform
– “Futuração”, Galeria Aymoré, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– “O BRASIL QUE EU QUERO”, 5th Floor, Centre d’Art Contemporain Genève, Genebra, Switzerland
– “Disembodied Behaviors”, Bitforms Gallery, New York, USA
– “Disembodied Behaviors’, online at Newart.city platform
– “ZAZCorner x LightboxLive”, ZAZ10ts Gallery, Times Square, Broadway, New York, USA
– “Epicentre”, The Wrong Bienalle, Spain
– “What Do We Do Now”, The Wrong Bienalle, Casino Notabile, Rabat, Malta
– “What Do We Do Now”, The Wrong Bienalle, Online
– “Começo de Século”, Galeria Jaqueline Martins, São Paulo, Brazil
– “In.corpo.rar”, Centro de Artes UFF, Niterói, Brazil
– “Hotel Blue”, SXSW, Austin, Texas, USA
– “Desver”, Festival de Cinema Universitário do Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
– “Fastline”, ArtNight Festival London, London, United Kingdom
– “Eneagrama”, Festival de Cine Experimental, Casa Colectiva Revolución, Córdoba, Argentina
– “Transe”, with “OLHÃO”, organizado por Fortes Daloia Gabriel, São Paulo, Brazil (online)
– “Frenesi Estático”, with “banalbanal.org”, São Paulo, Brazil (online)
– “W97M MELISSA VIRUS”, with “AINDAMTNADA”, online installation, aindamtnada.com
– Collection ARTEMÍDIAMUSEU, Nacional Museum of Republic, Brasília, Brazil
– Illustration for article on Transition Magazine, issue 129, Hutchins Center at Harvard University, USA
- Last weeks to visit "The Silence of Tired Tongues": group show featuring thirteen emerging artists born in Brazil
- Announcement of awardees
- Discover new pages and video interviews of PIPA 2022 participating artists
- Check out the list of PIPA 2022's participating artists!
- Meet the 66 nominees of PIPA Prize 2022